Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 557 scat

HOSS
    Took the plunge. Traded with engine builder my nitrous refill station for a completely balanced scat setup. They will build motor too. Should end up with 570 after bore. I`ve got DOVE heads. What should I do with these? I wanna run a tunnel also. What cam? 10:1 should be

LakesOnly
    572, eh? 4.50 x 4.50, I'm guessing, based on the rotating assy. Are you using a standard block and if so, did you sonic check it? You are overboring it .140". There will be lots of cylinder side thrusting with the reduced rod ratio of the 4.5 stroke. I am assuming this is with the 6.7 rods and not the 6.8 rods.
    An engine that big needs a hell of a lot of air and therefore a big ass cam to support it. Conversely, your static compression ratio will somewhat limit the size of the cam that will make this engine the greatest amount of power. If it's your intention to build a big but mild, reliable pump gas engine, then you're fine, but if you want to build a max effort engine, then you need more compression big time with a motor that big.
    And with the heads, again they'd be fine for a strong and reliable running pump gas stroker. But for high performance, you are really pushing the limits of the D0VE heads on a low compression stroker that big, and I doubt this build of yours will have peak power at much past 5500 rpm. The heads just wont be able to support much more breathing, particularly with the low comppession. I would go max effort on the heads, including oversize valves, CJ port match on the intake and full open exhaust port with stock exit.
    LO

HOSS
    I don`t know the low down on the specs. I wanna run a reliable pump gas motor. They said something aboutrace bearings.

LakesOnly
    You will have a fine pump gas engine.
    It would be a good idea to sonic check the block with that much overbore, and perhaps consider the need for a short fill in the cooling jackets.
    Put 2.19/1.75 valves in the D0VE heads and max effort porting. Unfortunately, on the exhaust side even max effort D0VE castings do not flow much greater at .600 than they do at .500, so even a bigger lift cam won't help much; so get one that hangs the exhaust valve open longer than the intake. Most shelf cams don't offer splits greater than 10* and I wouldn't go for anything less in this case. (Personally, I'd have reservations with any shelf cam in this build). The trickiness here is your lower compression ratio versus the relatively big cam needed to help the engine breathe.
    By virtue of its design, a stroker such as this will produce power at lower rpm's than the 460 you are used to, so get a cam with a tight lobe separation so as to move peak torque up high (so as to compensate for the low power curve). Say, on a 108* LC, maybe. There's really not near enough information about your build to call out a cam grind, though...
    Gotta go,
    LO

You may want to consider a set of Blue Thunders. Cammed a 514 about 4 years ago with a mild hyd flat and it made 640HP at 5800 rpm. It was a brute in a mid 80's stang.

HOSS
    What do you need to know LO? I appreciate any and all advice you can give. Really don`t know jack about a mountain motor. I wanna run a tunnel ram with 2 750`s or what would you suggest. I have DOVE heads as you know and aluminum is not an option for brackish water will eat the hell out of `em. Although the price of complete trick flows are entising. This is all I really know. Would I be better with smaller cubes? I just figurred that this motor will yank ten skiers up without too much pedal.

C.Fisher
    Hoss
    On the alum head deal, I know Canfield has a coating applied as an option when there is salt water involved. Even though Canfield does not make BBF heads I am sure John Fenton "owner" would help you out on getting a set coated.

born2burn
    Whats a Mountain motor?

Nucking futs
    Whats a Mountain motor?
    A Big Inch dealio.

Squirtin Thunder
    I about two weeks I will be taking my D0VE heads down to be flowed. It should be quite interesting to see the #s.
    The heads were cut .035 and they have 2.19 intake and 1.8 exhaust, the intake side was matched to the CJ port and the exhaust port was worked (lots of hours). Not to mention all the casting flash removale and the oiling mods on the heads.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast