Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrican Question

gramps
    You might want to arrange what can be run off the generator. Your generator may not have enough power to run the AC at the same time as other appliances.
    Hospitals use backup generators, but not all equipment in the hospital will be hooked up to the backup
    I'm up in the mountains.............no A/C here. I don't think I have any one thing in the house that would be a huge draw except the electric stove then it would be bbq time. I know for sure the generator will run the TV, sat. receiver, sound system, refer and computer all at the same time. Micro wave pulls a bit but I think my generator will handle it. I have a Genarac (sp) 7000/12,500.

CMac
    Lineman don't like dieing either, the generator will back feed the system through the transformer.
    A throw over switch is mandatory if the generator is hard wired to the house service. You can get transfer switches at Lowes/Home Depot.
    Contact the utility and they'll have guidlines on what needs to be installed.
    Yes, this is why the get nervous, the back feed.

Riverkid
    In this application I would save some money and purchase a manual transfer switch.
    Bingo.

79schiada
    What he said...

Do you want to start the gen. automatically when you loose power?

gramps
    Do you want to start the gen. automatically when you loose power?
    Nope..........I don't want it hard wired into the system either. I want to hook it into the house system when needed.

Check PMs

WYRD
    If your gonna do it, do it right. As many have stated put in a transfer switch Manual is all you need for your application then put in a generator plug Like this one (http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/D-2thru31.pdf) don't cut any corners and be sure to check all the local codes, its fairly simple but if its done wrong you may end up bbq-ing the whole house...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12