Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Old Waterski Racers

FlatStupid
    I knew a guy in the mid 70s who used to pull his son in the catalina race. He had a 21 ft Schiada. His name was Gary Wells. He was killed in an accident on the 91 freeway in the late 70s. His son Marty Wells lives near Yucaipa. Did anybody know Gary or his son. If I remember correctly, he also raced GN.Was Gary kinda of a heavy set guy that was a builder around Riverside. The Wells I'm thinking about, son was also killed and it wasnt an accident !I went to Perris lake a couple of times with him.

flatnutz110
    We stil have the Campbell Mike and Carie Dixon cruise it in the channel

Burt remember when we pulled Charlie Chance with your boat? Those were good times. I specifically remember a front straight at Clearlake when we went by a bouy by a couple feet at about 95. Obviously I didn't see it until we went by it. Charlie missed it by about 4 feet. I was much more concerned about it than he was I guess.
    I'm guessing that was mid to late 1980's.

Was Gary kinda of a heavy set guy that was a builder around Riverside. The Wells I'm thinking about, son was also killed and it wasnt an accident !I went to Perris lake a couple of times with him.
    Must be a different guy Craig, Martie is alive and well to my knowledge. Also one of a very few elite men ski racers that I would consider the best of all time.

obnoxious001
    [QUOTE=spectras only;2780605]
    This is Burt >
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/B...pectra32.2.jpg
    QUOTE]
    I had a ride in Burt's boat around 1979, same year he pulled Chuck to one of his Catalina wins! I was working for Gale Banks, and Burt had Banks engines in the boat at the time.

Was Gary kinda of a heavy set guy that was a builder around Riverside. The Wells I'm thinking about, son was also killed and it wasnt an accident !I went to Perris lake a couple of times with him.
    Gary Wells lived in colton just off of washinton. He was a GN racer for a time and he also pulled his son marty in the catalina race. Gary liked his bourbon and fell asleep at he wheel on the 91 freeway near the 55 and was killed. Marty lives in the yucaipa/redlands area.

flatnutz110
    Which of the three regions would win overall for THE BRAGGINGRIGHTS

Halvecta
    All the chatter over the V-drive Vector for sale made me dig this up. Evidently my '87 Vector is in good old school company. I am sure many of you will recognize the driver names and boats as well. Enjoy.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...3&ppuser=16107
    Not sure how to get the image from my gallery to this thread, but here is the link.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...3&ppuser=16107

WishIknew
    Which of the three regions would win overall for THE BRAGGINGRIGHTS
    Parker Strip

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast