Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck steering cable

Forkin' Crazy
    If I had to heat it up, I would remove it from the motor. I has plastic bushings in the tilt tube/clamp brackets that will probably melt.
    I had one that got stuck and ended up buying a whole new tilt tube, cable and all.

obnoxious001
    If I had to heat it up, I would remove it from the motor. I has plastic bushings in the tilt tube/clamp brackets that will probably melt.
    I had one that got stuck and ended up buying a whole new tilt tube, cable and all.
    Yep,, I might be getting to that point, been trying to think of a way to use the zerk fitting to force something in there to free it up.

badluck
    I have the whole set up,PM me your #

Forkin' Crazy
    To hell with cables, get a SeaStar system and forget about it!

Towndrunk
    I had a bad day today. Bring that SOB to0 me I'll beat it out.:devil:

v-drive
    This happened to me a million years ago with a similar setup. I unscrewed the zirc fitting and screwed in a small pipe about a foot long. I then filled it with carburetor cleaner and hit it with about 50 pounds of air pressure. Worked like a charm

obnoxious001
    This happened to me a million years ago with a similar setup. I unscrewed the zirc fitting and screwed in a small pipe about a foot long. I then filled it with carburetor cleaner and hit it with about 50 pounds of air pressure. Worked like a charm
    Interesting idea, I had thought about that a bit. Don't currently have a battery in the boat as it was apart for a bunch of wood replacement, stringers and bulkheads, and all new seats, so was going to be kind of a pain to drop engine to get to the zirc fitting.
    I ended up putting some large diameter washers over the cable end, dropping a bolt back thru the hole, and using a pickle fork to force the cable out of the tube. It was stuck really tight, got about 1/2" movement before I had to add additional washers and whack the pickle fork some more, then then it took a bunch of times pulling it out, then carefully hammering back into the housing before I got it free enough to remove. Cleaned the tube carefully with a wire bore brush, and towels soaked in carb cleaner, should be good to go now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12