Thread: more hp from merc175

spc_squirrel
    Hello, I have an 86 merc 175 black max. I have a 21ft shallow v-bottom and run somewhere in the sixties. I was wondering if there was any work that could be done to this motor to gain hp without replacing it. can the lower unit handle more power? don't have alot of funds to buy a new motor and hate getting beat by bass boats! thanks for the help.

Towndrunk
    Yes.

kingsbiship
    I'd say you're doin' REAL GOOD rite now with the specs. you gave! I had a
    21' Checkmate with '86 200 and thats about what I got with jackplate and
    tight heads, velocity stacks, stuffed intake and re-worked chopper!

MyBassBoatIsFaster
    I think it sounds like you're doing pretty good considering the age of your setup. I like the Switzers, but I think the Baja is a more versatile boat. Anyway, pretty much any bass boat built after 1995 with a 150 Merc and a stainless prop could give you a run for your money, so I think your best bet is to upgrade.

Tom Brown
    Throw some big carbs on there. That's always good for a hundred horse.

spc_squirrel
    I think it sounds like you're doing pretty good considering the age of your setup. I like the Switzers, but I think the Baja is a more versatile boat. Anyway, pretty much any bass boat built after 1995 with a 150 Merc and a stainless prop could give you a run for your money, so I think your best bet is to upgrade.
    i also run on lake wisconsin. my brother runs an old baja and my father used to have an eliminator. maybe we'll see ya on the water someday.