Thread: Best DVD Players

Some Kind Of Monster
    I’m in the market for a new DVD player and I’m wondering what the best way to go is? I have a 42” HDTV Plasma tv and I want to get a nice player to compliment it. What is the HDDVD, BluRay, Upconversion? What do I need to know to make an informed decision? This is what I am looking at:
    Pioneer - DVD Player with HD Upconversion Model: DV-400V-K
    What am I going to gain by getting something more expensive?
    What am I going to gain by going to a true HD player instead of just the upconversion?

Some Kind Of Monster
    I have considered the 360, however I don't think I would ever play it. Is the quality of audio / video comperable to the higher end players?
    According to the best buy web site, the Player I am looking at is $120 and the HDDVD players are $3-$400 I don't mind spending more if it is really worth it. Also is the upconverting player that I am looking at going to be the best for the money?

It's all Good

socalmoney
    Oppo DV-980H (http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp)
    Second that. Buy it and this thread is over.

WET HULL
    I have been told to go the xbox route also. It has everything the others do plus a 40 or 60 gig hard drive. It will take redular dvd's and convert them to 1080i. I dont play games but that is the route I am going. If I understand correctly you can use the hard drive as a tivo if set up right. Is this true?

Jyruiz
    The Oppo is a great choice, but if you want HD DVD and great DVD upconversion, then the Toshiba HDAX-2 is the best one out there, even better than the Oppo when playing standard DVDs. You will have to raise your budget to at least $500.00 though.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Wow, that is sweet! Who said anything about a budget ;-)