Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 496 mag, fuel usage question ???

finsfan4life
    Took out the new Placecraft today for a quick test ride. I put in 15 gallons, cruised around the lake for about 45 to 50 min then it when dead. I cruised between 35 to about 50 mph, and hit 60 a couple times. The boat never completly shut off, just woud not accelerate. Then after A few moments of trying to figure out what was going on it finally died. It would restart for a period, idle rough and just die again.
    Is it possible I just ran out of gas ??? People at the lake told me "Sure, with that motor." I am taking to Placecraft in the morning so they could check it out. I tried adding 5 gallons and tried to start it when I got home but had no luck. It turned over for a few seconds then died.
    Placecraft tolf me the motor runs rich when its brand new but DAMN !!!! 15 gallons in 45 min's !!!!
    What u guys think ??

AZJD
    There is something that you have to do to that engine if you run it out of fuel. I don't exactly remember what it was, CUZ I WATCH MY FUEL GAUGE!

AZJD
    And 15 gallons in 45 minutes.....piece of cake. That motoer drinks a bit.

so cal D
    So You Got Your New Ride!! Congrats, Looking Foward To Seeing It Complete, Are You Taking It To The River Any Time Soon? Let Me Know. About Your Motor, I Have The Same Motor In My 22' And Since It Is My First Boat, Towards The Begining I Ran Out Of Fuel A Few Times, Know I Try To Keep It Above 1/2 Tank At All Times If Not More, It Just Takes A Little Getting Used To. Good Luck!

DAB
    You'll have to cycle the fuel pump enough times to get fuel to the motor if you ran out.. I know people who will actually take the fuel line off and have someone turn the key on and off (you'll hear the pump) until they get fuel out of the line, hook it back up and you should be good....

RiverToysJas
    And 15 gallons in 45 minutes.....piece of cake. That motoer drinks a bit.
    Sure does!
    The one thing I often wish I had in my boat is bigger fuel tanks! 50 is just not enough for a decent weekend of boating.
    Never ran out though.....my gauge works!
    RTJas

JB in so cal
    I keep track of my fuel usage as follows:
    Get boat out of storage unit - go to the pump and fill it up Look at visa bill later...

RiverToysJas
    Get boat out of storage unit - go to the pump and fill it up Look at visa bill later...
    Tell me! I was running low Sunday afternoon in Parker and still wanted to play for a couple more hours.....put less than 20 gallons in on the water = $85.

IMPATIENT 1
    you too huh?
    this past summer i could go thru 15 gallons of fuel in 30 minutes or less of run time. 45 minutes sounds great to me and i gots a little bitty boat

willowrat
    Took out the new Placecraft today for a quick test ride. I put in 15 gallons, cruised around the lake for about 45 to 50 min then it when dead. I cruised between 35 to about 50 mph, and hit 60 a couple times. The boat never completly shut off, just woud not accelerate. Then after A few moments of trying to figure out what was going on it finally died. It would restart for a period, idle rough and just die again.
    Is it possible I just ran out of gas ??? People at the lake told me "Sure, with that motor." I am taking to Placecraft in the morning so they could check it out. I tried adding 5 gallons and tried to start it when I got home but had no luck. It turned over for a few seconds then died.
    Placecraft tolf me the motor runs rich when its brand new but DAMN !!!! 15 gallons in 45 min's !!!!
    What u guys think ?? Nice looking boat. I cannot Imagine launching with only 15 gallons in my boat. Heck I will burn that much warming it up. Look at the Mercury web site. It has fuel usage. I think it is 25 gal an hr at WOT. About 12 GPM at 3000 RPM. Good luck and enjoy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast