Thread: V hull (hallet/cheyenne/etc) safe top speed

speedymopars
    In rebuilding my boat, and seeing the other thread where bow steer came up, I'm wondering - what is a safe top speed for boats like mine and beerjets? I can build my motor up quite a bit, and I have a ton of go fast options (read parts) available to me in my garage. For a daycruiser style boat what is the fastest I should ever hope for or try to achive? 70? 80? 90? No sense building a 500-700 HP (or more) engine if the hull will kill me if I do.
    I was originally shooting for N/A 500+ but I have many NOS kits, and I can also have big roller cams and such that would most likey get me to 650-675 N/A HP (then you add the NOS....)
    My "small" heads are cracked, so suddenly it may be cheaper to use my full race heads set up for my big sollid roller. Don't want to build an unsafe boat though...

Is The Daycruiser A Jet? The Only Reason I Ask , One Of The 21' Eliminators My Dad Had Was A Direct Drive And The Faster It Went ,the Further It Drove The Nose Into The Water.

DeltaSigBoater
    In rebuilding my boat, and seeing the other thread where bow steer came up, I'm wondering - what is a safe top speed for boats like mine and beerjets? I can build my motor up quite a bit, and I have a ton of go fast options (read parts) available to me in my garage. For a daycruiser style boat what is the fastest I should ever hope for or try to achive? 70? 80? 90? No sense building a 500-700 HP (or more) engine if the hull will kill me if I do.
    I was originally shooting for N/A 500+ but I have many NOS kits, and I can also have big roller cams and such that would most likey get me to 650-675 N/A HP (then you add the NOS....)
    My "small" heads are cracked, so suddenly it may be cheaper to use my full race heads set up for my big sollid roller. Don't want to build an unsafe boat though...
    As a kid growing up we had the exact same model boat as beerjet, set up w/ a 460 Ford, sporting a GaleBanks Twin Turbo setup, all run through a Jacuzzi Pump (that had a little bit of work done). Now remember this was the days before GPS, but the Speedometer was reading high-60's to low-70's.
    So yes it is possible to hit the numbers, just how much are you willing to $pend?
    Good Luck & Keep Us Updated!

gr16241
    I have a 21' Eliminator Daycruiser with a 500 hp BBC - jet drive that runs about 65 full of fuel and three or four passengers. The boat handles very well and is capable of runnung that spedd in most water conditions. I am not sure how it would do at 80 or 85, just depends how much boat you are able to lift out of the water. It takes a lot of horsepower to move a big jetboat to those higher speeds.

ck7684
    Well, I dont plan on taking mine over 80, but mine's only 16ft

speedymopars
    As a kid growing up we had the exact same model boat as beerjet, set up w/ a 460 Ford, sporting a GaleBanks Twin Turbo setup, all run through a Jacuzzi Pump (that had a little bit of work done). Now remember this was the days before GPS, but the Speedometer was reading high-60's to low-70's.
    So yes it is possible to hit the numbers, just how much are you willing to $pend?
    Good Luck & Keep Us Updated!
    Cost is the same. I have already spent the money at one time or another, these are parts in my garage (many never or briefly used).
    If the hull can be safe to 90 MPH, I don't think I will exceed that no matter what I do with the parts I have. If it's only 60-70, I'll probably spend more money to go slower so to speak, as my race heads (solid roller setup, huge ports) are drop on, while my smaller ported heads (better for a hyd cam) need to be welded up and rebuilt.