Thread: Mobil 1 or not ?

lovemyultra
    Trying to see what everybody is using long and short term .I have a 454 with about 52 hours on it, now I am getting ready for my third oil change what do you guys think ?
    THANKS DJ

waterbum
    I love my 15w50 Mobil 1 with a bottle of Prolong.I'm runnin a 500h.p. that never burns any oil.Bum
    [This message has been edited by waterbum (edited April 07, 2002).]

lghtnin33
    mobil 1 is great stuff,have run it in my boat for 6yrs. with no problems

rivercrazy
    I recommend it as well. I have over 300 hard hours on my 454 mag with Zero problems and no measurable oil burning. I wouldn't use any additive. Just run the syn.

BOFH
    The key is to pick an oil and stick with it. Different additives react differently, and changing oils can have "odd" problems. Make sure whatever you pick, you can stick with for the life of the engine.
    That said, moving from mineral oil to synthetic on an older engine is a nightmare. Most rebber seals will absorb mineral oil. This will swell the seals. Changing to synthetic will have a different absorbtion rats, and effectivly "dry out" the seals causing them to shrink and leak.
    This is where synthetics got the rep for causing engines to leak. With 52 hours, you are OK to change, and synthetics have some significant advantages. However, changeing oil regularly, and sticking with one brand will make a bigger difference.

Rocket
    I went to Mobil 1 @ 200 hrs on a 502mag no oilburn anymore! Kinda worried me but that was 3 changes ago and i run long and hard! Need to find some wood don't I? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif