Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expert Gear Heads needed....Teflon Buttons

BowTieOmega
    Hi all. I will cut through the crap, most of you saw my post using v-drives username titled eagle rods. I need to know your opinions on using telfon buttons as wrist pin retainers instead of snap rings. A quick 411 on the situation...TRW Forged aluminum pistons for press fit rods (no grooves on the pistons for wrist pin keepers) for 4.250 bore, I have eagle forged steel rods bushed for floating pins that can not be returned. No one else makes off the shelf forged aluminum pistons for a standard bore 454 with the .270 dome which is a requirement. JE can make me some for a hefty price. Money is an issue but I do not want to trash my motor either. Any solutions besides the following:
    1 Buy new rods
    2 Bore the motor .030 over
    3 Have pistons made
    Bottom line, what are your opinions on using the buttons as retainers. I need to know if I am going to have to do what I listed above..Thanks for your help...Joe

wsuwrhr
    I happen to like buttons, I have used them in every single one of the VW's I have built over the years. Easy engine disassembly, and no worries about single clips popping out, or the pain in the ass removal of spirolocks.
    My iron 440 has stock rods, so it has pressed pins. But the alloy motor I am building will have teflon buttons.
    My worthless .02
    Brian

GofastRacer
    Nothing wrong with buttons but from my experience with them, I would make my own(or have someone you know make them)all the ones I've seen or used the tolerance were off, you want them to fit perfect no movement whatsoever or else they'll beat themselves and mess up the cylinder wall!.

v-drive
    how are they anchored? is it a press fit or are they bonded in. where do they register off of . I don't want to assume anything, but to me they should press fit into the pin and if so are the pins consistant on the ID or is this a situation where buttons should be made for each pin?....thanks..v-drive

wsuwrhr
    how are they anchored? is it a press fit or are they bonded in. where do they register off of . I don't want to assume anything, but to me they should press fit into the pin and if so are the pins consistant on the ID or is this a situation where buttons should be made for each pin?....thanks..v-drive
    They basically float. As far as I know, can't really glue ANYTHING to teflon.
    They register off of the flat end of the wrist pin, floating in the hole in the wrist pin and they register in the pin bore. The side to side tolerance is set by the width of the wrist pin.
    Brian

victorfb
    ive used them on VW motors aswell with good results. they are not press fit as to be so tight you cant get them back out. a simple push with your fingers from the other side to let the pin extend from the piston and firm grip and tug should pull them right back out. but as posted, they should fit snug. (not snug on the piston). by the way ive used the same set on 3 rebuilds of the VW motor and they still fit and look good.

v-drive
    So if i am hearing this right the only thing the buttons do is keep the pin from coming in contact with the cyl. wall. v-drive

victorfb
    yep.

wsuwrhr
    So if i am hearing this right the only thing the buttons do is keep the pin from coming in contact with the cyl. wall. v-drive
    DING DING DING
    We have a winner. Tell us what the man wins.
    Sets the play of the wrist pin too.
    Brian

v-drive
    Sarcasm will get you nowhere, but I did have a good laugh..v-drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast