Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fe motor problems

Running_on_Empty
    I've been working on my 64 ford galaxie 500 390. I have just rebuilt the motor and have just put a new starter and drive in it. It fired about 15 times and now acts like the battery is dead. I pulled it out and the starter drive looked chewed up. I shimmed it and put it back in and it started 2 or 3 more times and quit. Any suggestions?

GofastRacer
    I've been working on my 64 ford galaxie 500 390. I have just rebuilt the motor and have just put a new starter and drive in it. It fired about 15 times and now acts like the battery is dead. I pulled it out and the starter drive looked chewed up. I shimmed it and put it back in and it started 2 or 3 more times and quit. Any suggestions?
    Dumb question, those starters bolt to the bellhousing what did you shim???...

Moneypitt
    I have a simular problem with a 428FE. I have the sheet metal plate in there and still have to put lock washers between the starter and the bellhousing or the drive drags the ring gear and chews itself up.....I have questioned the rebuilders and there is one other Ford starter that has less drive engagement. I have not tried it yet as mine is working at the present time.......When mine fails it just spins without turning the motor but has never acted as though the battery was dead......MP

GofastRacer
    I have a simular problem with a 428FE. I have the sheet metal plate in there and still have to put lock washers between the starter and the bellhousing or the drive drags the ring gear and chews itself up.....I have questioned the rebuilders and there is one other Ford starter that has less drive engagement. I have not tried it yet as mine is working at the present time.......When mine fails it just spins without turning the motor but has never acted as though the battery was dead......MP
    Something don't sound right here, the starter indexes into the plate/belhousing, if you space it back it won't line up right???, I've never had a problem with a starter on an FE, don't understand why you would that's the way it comes from the factory????...

Running_on_Empty
    this is a pre 65 starter...the one with the shaft comming out and then you have to put the drive gear on the end....made for a 153 tooth flywheel. It seems that everytime I pull out the starter my start drive if fully extended as well. The only reason I shimmed it was out of curiosity as it would start at the time and once it shimmed I did. When I turn the key is barely moves the engine at all now.

GofastRacer
    this is a pre 65 starter...the one with the shaft comming out and then you have to put the drive gear on the end....made for a 153 tooth flywheel. It seems that everytime I pull out the starter my start drive if fully extended as well. The only reason I shimmed it was out of curiosity as it would start at the time and once it shimmed I did. When I turn the key is barely moves the engine at all now.
    Ok gotcha, I know what you have why don't you just use a conventional starter???..

Running_on_Empty
    I would have to change the flywheel......

GofastRacer
    I would have to change the flywheel......
    Ooops, that's right forgot about that, my bad!. :hammer2: Been away from FE's too long!..

Running_on_Empty
    I guess I just don't understand why it would chew the flywheel......

Kindsvater Flat
    Sounds like either the pinion gear is wrong or the ring gear itself. I have ran into problems with old flatheads with so called replacement parts and actually having parts sized wrong. Either the teeth on the pinion or ring gear.
    How deep is the contact pattern on the ring gear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast