Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Registering in AZ

Dave C
    OK how the hell is this done?
    I know that you register the Boat in AZ and trailer in Cali and can operate the boat with current AZ tags in Cali.
    I live in Cali and DON'T have an AZ address. I know some of you do this in the same situation.
    How is this done not having a AZ residence? Do they register it in AZ and send you the bill in Cali?
    What about sales tax? Do you pay AZ sales tax being a non-resident?
    Do we buy it from an AZ dealer or just an out of state dealer?
    It seems that we might be able to avoid Cali sales tax and the annual county personal property taxes.
    the fees are the fees so I'll pay them.
    I'm probably not the only one wanting to know about this. :devil:
    Thanks

SummitKarl
    I know that you register the Boat in AZ and trailer in Cali and can operate the boat with current AZ tags in Cali.
    I live in Cali and DON'T have an AZ address. I know some of you do this in the same situation.
    How is this done not having a AZ residence? Do they register it in AZ and send you the bill in Cali?
    It seems that we might be able to avoid Cali sales tax and the annual county personal property taxes.
    Thanks
    Send a PM to AZGFBOATGIRL on the board, her name is Libby, she does the registrations for AZGF and will have al the answers for you

azgfboatgirl
    OK how the hell is this done? Call AZGF to determine the correct procedure for your boat.
    I know that you register the Boat in AZ and trailer in Cali and can operate the boat with current AZ tags in Cali. Reciprocity for California is 90 days before an out of state boat must be registered there.
    I live in Cali and DON'T have an AZ address. I know some of you do this in the same situation. Your registration can be sent to your out of state address.
    How is this done not having a AZ residence? Do they register it in AZ and send you the bill in Cali? State of primary use determines where you'll register your boat. Your mailing address is not an issue.
    What about sales tax? Do you pay AZ sales tax being a non-resident? Sales tax is due on a new or used boat purchased from a dealer, broker, auction......
    Do we buy it from an AZ dealer or just an out of state dealer?Any boat bought from a dealer, sales tax applies.
    It seems that we might be able to avoid Cali sales tax and the annual county personal property taxes. :sqeyes:
    the fees are the fees so I'll pay them. Nonresident fees will apply for your boat registration in Arizona.
    I'm probably not the only one wanting to know about this. :devil: :idea:
    Thanks
    Libby @AZ Game & Fish Dept.
    602-942-3000 ext 3406

voodoomedman
    Libby @AZ Game & Fish Dept.
    602-942-3000 ext 3406
    What all she said. Nothing goes to our AZ address. We don't even have a mailbox there. Boats are subject to Coast Guard law not state driving laws so it is registered in the state of principal use on the water. If your boat is roughly 26 feet or longer you can also Coast Guard document it one time and depending on the state not even ever have to register it. Cali sucks and will tax you still though.

It's Only Money
    Thanks
    Dude - this has been covered SOOOO many times on this and about every other boat forum around. Do a search and you'll find all of the answers you need.
    Simply put - to avoid the property taxes in your county (LEGALLY) you must keep the boat OUT of CALIFORNIA more than 50% of the year AND have it out of California on the first tax day of the year. Coast Guard REQUIRES you to register the boat in the state of Predominant Use. That means simply that if you use it more in California it has to be registered in California. If you use it primarily on the Colorado River and its lakes then either state could quality. Regardless, if you store the boat in California and use it in Arizona you must register it in AZ and pay property tax in CA.
    Most S. California county tax collectors are periodically going to marinas and public storage sites looking for out of state registered boats as this is a great revenue generator for the county. Back property tax can be assessed to the purchase date AND penalties.

Rising Sun
    As said before, register your boat in Arizona as a non-resident. If your worried about storage and the tax collectors, store the boat in Arizona at a storage facility. They cost about $150.00 per month for a secured location. You will also have the benefit of not having to tow your boat from California and back.

finsfan4life
    Go to Az game and fish web page (use search,very easy). Its called a non-resident boat reg, its costs $259.00 a year...But, if ur county taxes arnt at least double that..Its not worth it...
    It takes much longer to process in Az too, about a couple weeks by mail...I just did it...

voodoomedman
    Go to Az game and fish web page (use search,very easy). Its called a non-resident boat reg, its costs $259.00 a year...But, if ur county taxes arnt at least double that..Its not worth it...
    It takes much longer to process in Az too, about a couple weeks by mail...I just did it...
    $259 for you. Not for everybody. It depends on the length of the boat. Legally you are supposed to do it where you use it regardless. With that said and assuming you boat on Havasu which could be Cali or Az then look at what the Az fees would be and then what 1% of your boat value would be. Cali is only 10 bucks for 2 years registration but you can rest assure they will tax you if your boat's worth something and you register it here. You can always switch back to Cali from Az if Cali becomes cheaper. Technically you could go the other way but good luck getting your county to stop taxing you. From what it seems the best and easiest way to do that without any trouble is to sell the boat.

azgfboatgirl
    Most S. California county tax collectors are periodically going to marinas and public storage sites looking for out of state registered boats as this is a great revenue generator for the county. Back property tax can be assessed to the purchase date AND penalties.
    I heard they do walk the marinas. They are getting their money one way or the other.

Dave C
    Thanks guys.....
    I understand the basic rules but I just wanted to make sure.
    I understand that some people aren't exactly playing by the rules and was just wondering how.
    I can figure out the rest from here.:idea:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast