Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 502 Bbc

Barring the pistons ,will a 454 rotating assymbly fit a 502 block?
    I have a chance to buy a complete disasymbled standard bore 502,for 1000.00.The crank needs to be turned and the cylinders are borderline needing to be bored to the next size up.
    I have a brand new never used,4.25" forged stroker kit including rods and pistons,that I bought for My 489 build.I know that a 454 and a 502 share the same standard stroke and rod lengths.I was just wandering if the cank and rods could be used in the 502? The crank is for a two pc main seal....Thank's .....Hal

obnoxious001
    The crank is for a two pc main seal....Thank's .....Hal
    Is the 502 block a regular GM 1pc seal type block? Any chance the place you bought your 4.250" crank from would swap for a 1pc model?

fc-pilot
    You can get a rear main seal adaptor to put a two piece seal crank in a one piece main seal block. I have done it a few times and have had good success with them each time. So yes, you can use your crank and rods in the 502 block.
    Paul

The block is with the one pc seal.The crank is a scatt crank,and the speed shop,National performance,has gone out of buissiness here in Las Vegas.
    Is 1000.dollars a reasonable deal,for this motor?

fc-pilot
    It is a little bit of a catch 22. To buy a 502 block will cost you a grand, but then you have the question if the block is not hurt or cracked. The heads (if they are the rectangle port heads) would be O.K. and could work for a conservative 540. You can make more power with aftermarket heads, but that is more cash. The next issue would be how much work you would want to do on those heads (valves, springs, retainers, port work, replace guides and so on). That could equal the cost of new aftermarket heads.
    I guess the big question is what do you want to do? Do you want to go with aftermarket heads and stuff? If so then it is not all that smoking of a deal. If you use those heads without extensive mods and maybe sell the rods, then it could work out to be a cost effective purchase.
    Anyway, those are just some of the things I would be thinking about if I were in your shoes.
    Paul

I went by And looked at the %02 to day.It is at the shop that does My heads.
    The entire engine is there.The block looks real good ,barring not being checked for cracks yet,The cylinders don't look bad and could in all probabbillity just get by with a good hone and be put back together with the standard pistons.there is no ridge at the top of the cylinders.
    I looked over all the parts ,and every thing looks prety good.It has the Rectangle port heads,with 219 intake valves,the crank is a standard 4" stroke forged crank and standard bore flat top pistons. There is only one journal that Looks questionable but is not scarred,so the crank would only have to be turned .010"
    The only other thing That concerns Me is that one of the lifter bores has a sleve in it ,but that should'nt be a problem?
    My intentions would be To put the engine back together as a stocker for now and use as a temporarry engine for My current progect,Becouse I don't think I will Be able to Finnish My 489 nitrous motor ,Financially ,before next spring.Then I will have the 502 to build,for My future Eliminator daytona project that I have in the back covered and patiently waiting.
    I think the only other cost would be,clean and mag the block, New bearings,rings,Probably a cam upgrade.
    My head Guy said that the Guy is probably flxible and that I maybe able to pick it up for 800-850 bucks This way I could get the boat in the water ,while I continue to collect parts for the nitous engine....Hal

fc-pilot
    If that is the case then it sounds like a good plan. It would be a nice piece to play around with until you get your hard core motor up and running. I bought a 502 in a similar deal and did what you are talking about and it worked great for me. It cost me very little (within reason) to rebuild and have up and running. After doing mine I would mill the heads a little (to try and up the compression) and also deck the block to get a nice and tight piston to head clearance. Those little details will help make the most out of the package without having to buy new pistons or heads. Good luck.
    Paul

Is there any way to tell the diffrance between the 502 engines, by the block,or parts identification?
    How would You go about figuring out if it is the zz502, 502 HO, or the 502 truck engine?
    I am sure they all share the same block and block specs , with diffrent combinations, But would they all have diffrent block casting numbers?
    I am pretty sure the engine I am looking is not the ZZ502, becouse it does not have the alluminum heads.
    It does have the iorn rectangle port heads, which makes me think the HO. The truck engine came with the oval port heads?
    Do all the gen V 502's have the roller valvetrain componets? I am just trying to make sure of what I would be buying,,,,Hal

Here is a good site to look up casting numbers
    http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

Hey Outlaw ; Thanks, I had already looked up the block cast numbers on Mortec. The block has a cast #14096859,which says it is a gen V HO engine.the heads are cast # 14097088 which says gen V 454/502 HO rectangle heads....Hal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast