Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official: 496HO Vs. 525 thread!!

EmpirE231
    before anyone says use the search button... I already did! and found a bunch of comments and feedback. lets just consider this the updated thread... and not just about speed of the boat, but the lifestyle that goes along with boating, and the fun!
    is it really worth the difference in price (15-18k) for the small gains of MPH? alot of people say yes, and claim that nobody comes back wanting a slower boat, which I believe is true. but is the difference in performance THAT big between the 496 and the 525? and yes its only a little bit of difference in your monthly payment on the loan, but it's a 15-20k difference when it comes to paying that sucker off!
    my buddy has ridden in our friends boat... 26' force w/ 496... and they were running with our other buddies 26' dcb f26 w/ 525. he claims the difference in speed was not big at all... the dcb barely was creeping by, and took atleast a 1/4-1/2 mile before it was a good gap up ahead of them? and he said they all had a blast on the force (5 of them w/ coolers and so on).
    one thing that I would definitely like about the 525 is that the boat would get on plane quicker than the 496 (and the boats in comparison would be 26-27' cats). that is a + , but not sure if it outweighs the cost?
    pretty much just looking for feedback for people with similar experiences or that run either or engine in a comparable boat. are you happy with the 496 for what it is or hate it? if you got the 525... was it worth the 15k?
    I know when I get the boat I wont be running it all day long, alot of it will be kicking back and hanging out with friends... that's another main reason the cost has alot to do with my decision. the boats I'm primarily interested in are the 26' shadow, or the 27 shadow? would I be hating myself if I put an HO on the 27'? or would I still be having a blast? my thoughts are, that it's my first boat... enjoy it for what it is for 4 years or so, and then REALLY step it up, and get into something that the price differences actually make major differences in performance... such as a 32' with twin 710's or so.
    -Pat

AZJD
    525 is worth the $$$$$ if you are willing to spend it!
    My boat came with a 496, and I do like it but I would love to have the added power. If I was to come across the $$$$ and had nothing else to spend it on I might upgrade now.

beaverretriever
    is it really worth the difference in price (15-18k) for the small gains of MPH?
    Small gains? Find me a 496ho powered boat over 25feet that is even running 90mph or over. There are many 525s in the high 80s and a hand full of 90mph ones. Most 496HO boats are in the 60-70s.
    Oh, plus it is a very cool shade of blue.

shippingguy
    I know when I get the boat I wont be running it all day long, alot of it will be kicking back and hanging out with friends... that's another main reason the cost has alot to do with my decision. the boats I'm primarily interested in are the 26' shadow, or the 27 shadow? would I be hating myself if I put an HO on the 27'? or would I still be having a blast? my thoughts are, that it's my first boat... enjoy it for what it is for 4 years or so, and then REALLY step it up, and get into something that the price differences actually make major differences in performance... such as a 32' with twin 710's or so.
    -Pat[/QUOTE]
    If you can do it get the 525. Cruising range is better as well. Now for the boat. The 26 Shadow Deck is great with a 496 HO, but alot more fun with the 525. The 27 Shadow whole different ball game 525 minimum for that boat. Don't get me wrong the HO works fine, but the 525 makes a big difference on the 27. I had the 27 with a 525 and it was great. Now I have the Teague 800 and it is even better. The boat likes power, period. Just my .02

Ivan Dan
    I have a 26' Daytona with a 525 and I love the thing. With 2-3 people the thing jumps onto plane faster than any other cat I've been in. On Memorial weekend with 4 people and half tanks I got 84 on GPS speedo. I can cruise at 60-65 no problem where the 496 you will be running it pretty hard to keep it at those speeds.
    Before this boat I had a 28 Magic Deck with a 496HO and it was a slug. So needless to say my experience with the 496 was tainted a bit.
    Personally I would spend the extra as you have an overall better platform if you ever wanted to upgrade and if not you have a bitchin turn key boat.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...l_Weekend3.jpg

Kilrtoy
    I would not put either of those in a boat that size, I would go with a merc 700 or a viper 710 at the smallest....
    cats like air and like to run, Hell my boat runs like crap below 70 and that is where a 496 will get me maybe 70 on a good day

catman-do
    I have the 27 with an HO, I see low 70's on avg. Maybe 73-75 on a good day with low gas, low weight, and cooler temps.
    I would deffinately love to have a 525. However, if you are good with motors then you can build a 570CI and have all the internals for the same price range doing it yourself and produce more power. (then you also must upgrade drives.

beaverretriever
    cats like air and like to run, Hell my boat runs like crap below 70 and that is where a 496 will get me maybe 70 on a good day
    Because blenders are for making margaritas not pushing boats... LOL

Ivan Dan
    I would not put either of those in a boat that size, I would go with a merc 700 or a viper 710 at the smallest....
    Not all of us are ballers like you and can afford the HUGE insurance bills.

Kilrtoy
    Because blenders are for making margaritas not pushing boats... LOL
    Ill put my 600HP against any 26/27 inboard with 600HP..
    And when I am done I will drink that margarita

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast