Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ford 460 aluminum head question

1fastlx
    I need a bit of help from you guys, I am looking to buy a set of Blue Thunder 64cc heads with chevy style exhaust ports. does anyone know if the valve placement is the same as my D3s or will some "custom" pistons be in order. I ask this because I am building a new engine for my 21' barge and was thinking about a ~520in engine. I guess what I was really looking for is will the "out of the box" pistons work or will some fly cutting be in order. advertized lift will be under .600. thanks for any help or suggestions

Sleeper CP
    520" Ford? Bore x sroke? Do you have an out of the box piston that will work?
    How much compression with the 64cc heads? There will be a couple of Ford builders that can answer your question, I'm not one of them.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

1fastlx
    no I have not bought pistons yet, Just doing some research to save from getting the wrong ones. My local speed shop has not done any work with the BT heads in the configuration I am wanting. 4.30 stroke and the bore will depend on the condition of my block I will assume 4.440 should yield 521"

atxwrangler
    i have those heads on my blown 460,one thing you want to keep in mind is you will need toorder custom headers . you can use standard chebby headers,but,to change plugs,you will have to remove the headers,as you will only be able to remove number 1 and 8 with the headers installed.i was told rewarder can make a chebby header with a ford bolt pattern, i haven't confirmed this,as i am running the chebby headers still.

I need a bit of help from you guys, I am looking to buy a set of Blue Thunder 64cc heads with chevy style exhaust ports. does anyone know if the valve placement is the same as my D3s or will some "custom" pistons be in order. I ask this because I am building a new engine for my 21' barge and was,about a ~520in engine. I guess what I was really looking for is will the "out of the box" pistons work or will some fly cutting be in order. advertized lift will be under .600. thanks for any help or suggestions
    Depending on whether you get your castings from the new batch, or the old batch, you have 2 choices. New batch @ 78cc's and old batch @ 75 cc's. NEITHER will safely go to 64cc's(68cc's is safe).
    Valve placement is basically the same as a D3, but remeber the Valves are larger, so cut your reliefs accordingly. Anybody's shelf stock Piston should be good at that lift.
    As far as Headers go, by a set of BBC Bassett's and simply cut and notch the flanges ie: make each tube seperate. You'll be able to change plugs like anyone else(I do). Hope that helps. Questions?? Call the number off the website below. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

LakesOnly
    I am looking to buy a set of Blue Thunder 64cc heads with chevy style exhaust ports. Does anyone know if the valve placement is the same as my D3s or will some "custom" pistons be in order. I ask this because I am building a new engine for my 21' barge and was thinking about a ~520in engine. I guess what I was really looking for is will the "out of the box" pistons work or will some fly cutting be in order. advertized lift will be under .600. thanks for any help or suggestions The heads that you are considering for your build use a chebby exhaust flange, they do not incorporate a chebby exhaust port.
    Last I heard, the 385 Series 429/460 Ford applicable Blue Thunder (BT) heads were available in 74cc, 80cc, and 100cc combustion chamber volume as delivered from BT. I assume your inquiry is for 74 cc heads and that "64cc" is a typo.
    Although the BT heads in question use the standard 429/460 valve layout, BT spaces the intake/exhaust valves apart from each other by an additional .040" each (a total of .080" spread) over the stock Ford cylinder heads. Therefore, the pistons that you buy for your stroker engine (oem 460 pistons won't work in the stroker) would be pistons that are made for the standard Ford valve layout, but typically cut with valve reliefs that accomodate the SCJ valve sizes.
    You are building a customized engine, so you had better bet that plenty of customizing will be in order and that this may or may not include pistons modification.
    Whether or not the pistons need to be fly cut will be determined during the mockup stage(s) of your build.
    The fact that you are considering a camshaft of less than .600 lift for 521 cubes of engine gives me pause and causes me to question whether you are selecting the correct heads for this build and/or if you are selecting the correct camshaft for your needs.
    Please be more spcific about what you want for an engine (such as hosepower-wise) and how you intend to use this build in your typical boating activities, etc.
    LO

1fastlx
    thanks for the replies, I am looking for a good strong engine for a daycruiser, the exhaust that I have are SMI jacketed headers for BBC I was going to make an adapter to put them on my ford but BT took care of that problem for me. My engine has not been apart in since i have had the boat so I figured new pistons with the rebuild. The stroker kits have become very reasonably priced and should give me more power at less Rs. As far as cam selection goes I am completely open to suggestions as I am not sure if Comp knows what the boats like. I have an AB aggressor in the pump now and would like to turn it to 5500 at wot and still cruise at 43-4500. My current engine turns 4K with good air. I mostly cruise around and pull tubes but am tired of getting cut off by PWCs and them leaving me like I am sitting still I am not looking for the fastest boat on the water but I would like to see 65 or so. thanks

LakesOnly
    thanks for the replies, I am looking for a good strong engine for a daycruiser, the exhaust that I have are SMI jacketed headers for BBC I was going to make an adapter to put them on my ford but BT took care of that problem for me. My engine has not been apart in since i have had the boat so I figured new pistons with the rebuild. The stroker kits have become very reasonably priced and should give me more power at less Rs. As far as cam selection goes I am completely open to suggestions as I am not sure if Comp knows what the boats like. I have an AB aggressor in the pump now and would like to turn it to 5500 at wot and still cruise at 43-4500. My current engine turns 4K with good air. I mostly cruise around and pull tubes but am tired of getting cut off by PWCs and them leaving me like I am sitting still I am not looking for the fastest boat on the water but I would like to see 65 or so. thanksFastlx,
    RiverRacer sells BT heads, so he would have the latest scoop on the available combustion chamber sizes.
    Even though stroker kits are reasonably priced, this does not mean that a stroker engine is a budget motor. A 521/533 with BT heads can easily put you into the 5 figures by the time the engine is completed.
    How much horsepower are you hoping for? Must this engine run on pump gas, and if so is a 91 octane requirement okay? Also, there are adaptors available that enable you to mate a chebby header flange to a Ford exaust port, should you be building a budget minded motor.
    LO

LakesOnly
    My local speed shop has not done any work with the BT heads in the configuration I am wanting.Uh oh....heeeeere we go....
    4.30 stroke and the bore will depend on the condition of my block I will assume 4.440 should yield 521".030+ makes a 521; .080" makes a 533, 4.3 stroke assumed in both cases.
    LO

ck7684
    Curious...what's the purpose of having chevy flanges on these heads?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast