Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ford 460 aluminum head question

dmontzsta
    Curious...what's the purpose of having chevy flanges on these heads?
    Cause chevy exhaust is everywhere. Ever try to find some V-Drive Ford headers?

ck7684
    Wouldnt it be cheaper from a manufacturing standpoint to build headers rather than special cylinder heads?? :idea:

Curious...what's the purpose of having chevy flanges on these heads?To save the buyer the expense of buying new exhaust when they switch from a Chevy to a Ford.

Wouldnt it be cheaper from a manufacturing standpoint to build headers rather than special cylinder heads?? :idea:
    No. Since the GM platform is used more the marine industry you have several aftermarket companies making headers and the competition makes it more cost effective for the consumer. Also the cost difference between the Ford flange or the Chevy Flange on the Blue Thunders is minimum.
    I'll add this since about the Blue Thunders. Undoubtly the finest cast, machined, thought out head there is. For a company to step up and put the steel headbolt washers already in the head and use timeserts instead of heli coils makes the head a superior peace.

1968Droptop
    I'll add this since about the Blue Thunders. Undoubtly the finest cast, machined, thought out head there is. For a company to step up and put the steel headbolt washers already in the head and use timeserts instead of heli coils makes the head a superior peace.
    DITTO, real nice pieces for sure !!!

dmontzsta
    To save the buyer the expense of buying new exhaust when they switch from a Chevy to a Ford.
    That is the winner there!

1fastlx
    Lakesonly, I was looking for somewhere in the 500-550hp range on pump gas 91 octane would be great I usually run 93. As far as the headers go I am running a closed engine and must have jacketed headers, I allready have them. I dont mean to say that a stroker is a buget mill I have a 418" small block ford in a "street car" I know what a money pit they can be. I dont mind spending the cash just dont want to toss it at a bad combo. I really dont need to go with a stroker for what I am going to do just thought It would be cool to have I guess. Do you think the heads are too much for a 460" engine in my rpm range?

LakesOnly
    Lakesonly, I was looking for somewhere in the 500-550hp range on pump gas 91 octane would be great I usually run 93. As far as the headers go I am running a closed engine and must have jacketed headers, I already have them. I dont mean to say that a stroker is a budget mill I have a 418" small block ford in a "street car" I know what a money pit they can be. I dont mind spending the cash just dont want to toss it at a bad combo. I really dont need to go with a stroker for what I am going to do just thought It would be cool to have I guess. Do you think the heads are too much for a 460" engine in my rpm range?500-550 hp is pretty easy with a .030 overbore 460 with factory iron heads.
    I might get slapped for this, but in regards to aluminum heads on just 460 cubes as you're describing, the BT's wouldn't be my very first choice in such the application/power requirements that you need. On the other hand, if you insist on the chebby flange, then most certainly I'd be considering them although the flange requirement would be the deciding factor here and not broad measure for the best overall applicable head for power to 5500 rpm with a 460 on pump gas. So if you must have the big heads, yes, they will work but going stroker will allow those heads to really shine.
    We've received and rebuilt a good amount of CJ portsize headed 460s for jet boats and in the process of the rebuild we swapped their bigger heads out for passenger car size ported heads in their place, and everytime the customers have been amazed the superior overall power and improved throttle response on their 460s. Bigger is not always better when it comes to cylinder heads; having the appropriate features for the engine combinaton is what matters the most..
    500-550 hp on pump gas is easy; building a 521 BT headed stroker for a measely 500+ hp will be an expensive way to get it (dollars per hp ratio), but it can be done and be very reliable. If you want a less expensive way to get there and/or would consider the flange adaptors then your options are suddenly wide open.
    LO

dmontzsta
    I agree with Paul. 550hp is pretty easy, I would get some ported DOVE heads and Ford to chevy flange to run chevy exhaust, much cheaper than BTs, which are overkill for this type of power.

1fastlx
    thanks for putting me on the right road, you guys may have saved me quite a bit of cash (my wife thanks you) I may stay with the BTs and build my stroker next season. I am still restoring my boat and can use the money elsewhere. NEVER EVER sell a "good" boat to buy an old fixer no matter how good an idea it seems. Now that the floor, carpet and seats are finished and the paint is about to fly I might as well freshen the engine. Thanks for all the info there is a good wealth of jet knowledge here on this board and basically no one in Tennessee that knows what I am talking about!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast