Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ford 460 aluminum head question

thanks for putting me on the right road, you guys may have saved me quite a bit of cash (my wife thanks you) I may stay with the BTs and build my stroker next season. I am still restoring my boat and can use the money elsewhere. NEVER EVER sell a "good" boat to buy an old fixer no matter how good an idea it seems. Now that the floor, carpet and seats are finished and the paint is about to fly I might as well freshen the engine. Thanks for all the info there is a good wealth of jet knowledge here on this board and basically no one in Tennessee that knows what I am talking about!
    NE TN (Johnson City/Bristol/Kingsport) must not be considered knowledgeable TN people. . . . Of course I am 6 miles from VA and 20 miles from NC, those might be the problem

hack job
    my guess is that you have never seen the flang adpters if your recommening them cause that are the biggest flow cutters out there. i had a set on my old motor and they were junk i admit you can clean them up pretty good but not to flow like stock heads . littlery they block a good third of the exhast tube and good luck getting your plugs out.

LakesOnly
    my guess is that you have never seen the flang adpters if your recommening them cause that are the biggest flow cutters out there. i had a set on my old motor and they were junk i admit you can clean them up pretty good but not to flow like stock heads . littlery they block a good third of the exhast tube and good luck getting your plugs out.
    Hackjob,
    What brand flange adaptors are you talking about, and how much are they?
    Paul

hack job
    Hackjob,
    What brand flange adaptors are you talking about, and how much are they?
    Paul
    they were the eddie marine ones and they were 200. I dont have them any more.

LakesOnly
    they were the eddie marine ones and they were 200. I dont have them any more.I'm not familiar with those adaptors. I wanted to be able to compare them with the adaptors that I know about, so I went to the Eddie Marine website but didn't see them. I telephoned and spoke with a salesman who said that they haven't made them for some time nor do they offer them anymore. Oh well.
    The flange adaptors that I am talking about are Evans Racing Flange Adaptors. They work well and provide a valid option for those that have BBC flanged headers and would like to bolt those headers onto BBF cylinder heads. Indeed, the flange adaptor is by no means a port "improver," but these adaptors have been dyno proven to add hp over a non-adapted Ford head (with BBF headers) because the BBC headers are not pinched narrow at the flange like most BBF headers are. Here's a picture ofthem:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...daptors_01.jpg
    They have actually been revised since I took that picture, and now have added an undercut to facilitate spark plug access in the iron heads (the iron heads have the plugs lower in the combustion chamber than today's aluminum offerings; spark plug access no prob with SCJ, BT, TFS heads). Also something cool about these adaptors: the port-side of the flange and the header-side of the flange are not parallel to each other but are actually angled the same amount as the offset between Ford and BBC headers. :idea: Also, plenty of material to allow the builder to blend the port opening to the shape of the port in the head being used.
    No, they don't stand up to a BT head (of course not), but for 550 hp they certainly give us options.
    How do these look compared to the Eddie Marine adaptors?
    LO

Charlie Evan's make a nice piece for a tad under $200 It was rumored that a head MFR was going to buy his adapters, a while back. They only needed a very minimal clearancing on the spark plugs, which he leaves for the end user to remove as needed, but clearly marked where trimming may be needed. To gasket match them is a bit involved, but nothing a few hours won't fix. each head and header flange vary, and the material removed, for the port, can get close to bolt holes, so take your time to map it out.

1fastlx
    can someone post a link to evens or a phone number, The flanges I gave seen were really bad pieces and they leaked like crazy because of the port mismatch I guess. The ones lakes posted looked a lot better! those are an option. I have a set of logs on her now and even after a few hours of grinding they still have a VERY poor port match so I bought a set of CMI jacketed headers with the intentions of running the adapters and after talking to a couple of people who had run them in the past I decided not to use them. A couple of questions I had; are the treads heil-coiled in them and how will they hold up with my heavy headers pointing upward?

Sleeper CP
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...daptors_01.jpg
    No, they don't stand up to a BT head (of course not), but for 550 hp they certainly give us options.
    LO
    Lakes,
    Those are nice. It might be to expensive, but does some one make an ex. port plate that does the same thing along with raising the exhaust. I guess by then you might as well buy a new set of heads?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

can someone post a link to evens or a phone number, The flanges I gave seen were really bad pieces and they leaked like crazy because of the port mismatch I guess. The ones lakes posted looked a lot better! those are an option. I have a set of logs on her now and even after a few hours of grinding they still have a VERY poor port match so I bought a set of CMI jacketed headers with the intentions of running the adapters and after talking to a couple of people who had run them in the past I decided not to use them. A couple of questions I had; are the treads heil-coiled in them and how will they hold up with my heavy headers pointing upward?
    Try this charlesdevans@aol.com

LakesOnly
    Sleekcrafter, last time I checked, these adaptors were retailing for over $200, around $225. The machine work is world class.
    Sleeper, the exhaust port plates that I know of, such as those from Price Motorsports, are not a bolt on deal but actually require machining right into the head and water jacket. They are a big expensive mod, and no, I don't belive they accomodate the BBC flange.
    1fastlx, the threads are not helicoiled on these flanges, nor do they need to be. Installed correctly and with care, they work great on boat headers (which is the first place I saw them used). My opinion is that you MUST understand proper grinding in order to get xlnt results, understand how the porting of the selected cyliner head must work in conjunction with the adaptors. I might be able to help you with this; check your PM's.
    LO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast