Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State Law Regulating Motorboat Exhaust Noise Levels In Effect

ThongMagnet
    I believe the state has to allow a place for you and others like you to gather for an organized event on public land:idea: :idea: :idea:
    Just get your kids friends to drive around the lake with their thumping stereos to take the attention off your boat.

Jet Hydro
    :idea: you would think there was enough ski boats to do that but I guess not

Carnivalride
    Jet Hydro,
    Well I took the old Hondo out Sunday afternoon and blasted around quite a while. Beautiful day and excellent water with just the right amount of ripple. Very few people out and no harassment, not sure it'll be that way during the main part of summer but it looks like business as usual right now.
    Of course as usual after a great outing I can't bring myself to sell mine. Still looking into some muffler baffle ideas that might get me close to meeting the requirements and idle and cruise rpms.
    Loren

SmokinLowriderSS
    Not really, I often float around the lake in a canoe while screaming at the top of my lungs just to annoy the fishermen
    That's just you being an a-hole again Max.
    Fortunately, Lowrider has no trouble passing these, since her exhausts are under water at idle.
    Gone are the days of open OT headers tho.

STV_Keith
    Sure love my outboard. No mufflers for those.

[QUOTE Fortunately, Lowrider has no trouble passing these, since her exhausts are under water at idle.
    Gone are the days of open OT headers tho. [/QUOTE]
    Safe?? on the IA.-WS. Border of the Mississippi river, the DNR uses a 4.5" dia. PVC pipe 3ft long, with 90 degree elbows on each end Then they proceed to test your thru transom exhaust your most are likely to fail, with mufflers or not It would seem there would be some amplification using this process

SmokinLowriderSS
    Actually, the 90* bends will tend to reduce sound pressure, ie. decibel levell. Sound doesn't maintain volume turning corners well.
    Also, my exhaust note at idle is easily spoken over w/o raising a voice, which puts it in the 70db range comon to conversation.
    Add to that an engine cover/fully upholstered sundeck that stops all intake hiss noise which is actually louder than the exhaust note if you open it at idle for a leak-chack. (The K&N filter DID make it hiss less than the old screen arrestor ). The hood also stops any vibratory notes from the tube headers, but those are jacketed anyhow, and really don't make much of a noise.
    Next spring just for the heck of it, I will buy one of the decibel meters now avail. @ Wal-Mart for arround $25, just to settle my curiosity.
    Also, Ks test is 50' distance, as are most of the laws I have personally checked (tho not all), if I can speak over the motor easilly AT the stern, 50' is a no-brainer. That distance it is likely below 60 decibels.

Jet Hydro
    Jet Hydro,
    Well I took the old Hondo out Sunday afternoon and blasted around quite a while. Beautiful day and excellent water with just the right amount of ripple. Very few people out and no harassment, not sure it'll be that way during the main part of summer but it looks like business as usual right now.
    Of course as usual after a great outing I can't bring myself to sell mine. Still looking into some muffler baffle ideas that might get me close to meeting the requirements and idle and cruise rpms.
    LorenNot me as yesterday Berry told me of some guy from Wichita that spent $500.00 + because he thought he could get a way with it. I dont know the complete story but Berry is not one to make things up if you know what I mean

snake321
    In CT decibels have to be read by a certified decibel meter reader with a currently certified reader. I used to own a bar and had the noise problem every night. Seems the town only had 1 certified guy and he didn't work nights. I knew it, they knew that I knew it. I never got the ticket....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12