Thread: HOW long will it last in my sanger hydro???

2manymustangs
    Q1: Ok guys, I have rounded up all the parts to convert my new sanger hydro to BBFord power. For a starter engine I would like to use a cammed but otherwise stock 429 CJ engine. The stock compression ratio is in the neighborhood of 11.7:1 and the pistons are a super heavy stock TRW forged pistion, I know cuz I freshed up the engine a year ago for a car project. With this compression ratio and a long duration cam ( plus some leak down from cyl wear) how long will the pistons last playing around on the lake. Remember, these are super heavy flat top forgings.
    Q2: On my casalle drive the output shaft has a large (2 1/2" dia x 3" long) boss where the prop shaft exits the drive, is it possible that this box has a whirlaway installed already? I haven't seen any good pics or description of where the whirlaway parts are located in a casalle drive.
    Thanks for your input (unless it's harsh ford slammin).

charitycase
    there should be a 1" spacer in front of that housing on your v-drive.Sorry,too early to go find a pic.

ck7684
    Are the clearances set up for marine? You mentioned it was freshened up for a car project...

2manymustangs
    The crank is fresh turned with new bearings and the bore was honed to clean up but is still standard bore and is at it's upper limit on piston to cyl clearance so i would say that they are loose.

Moneypitt
    The crank is fresh turned with new bearings and the bore was honed to clean up but is still standard bore and is at it's upper limit on piston to cyl clearance so i would say that they are loose.
    Loose is good for a cold water marine application. However, there a limits to "loose" as well........I would say it depends on how hard you're gonna work it, and for how long...............MP

The TRW pistons should last as long as you need providing you do not spin the engine much over 6500. I've run the L-2404s and the L-2443s in several engines and spun 'em to 7K but for short blasts only. I would be more concerned about the use of stock rods, even the "football bolt" rods. I've spun CJ/truck rods with proper prep and ARP bolts to 7+K but held my breath each time. The clearances you need to be concerned with is the main and rod bearing clearances, I use .0035-.004" on the mains due to the 3.00" main journal diameter and .0025-.003" on the rods. Pistons can be in the .004-.005" range as TRWs have a low expansion rate. Your compression ratio is probally less than advertised as Ford used the "high side" tolerances for C/R calculation. Actual compression ratio usually is less, prob. in the 10.9 to 11.2 to 1 depending on deck clearance, gasket volume and head CC. Are you running the D0OE-R heads? Specs for those heads list a 72CC chamber volume but are more than likely in the 77CC area. Run a little bit of 110 race gas with your pump 91 oct. to keep the engine out of detonation and it should last you a long time.

2manymustangs
    I dont remember the numbers on the pistons but was surprised to find that the engine had the "figure eight" TRW forged pistons used in the SCJ engines. As for the rods I did update them with ARP bolts, they were the spotfaced rods to start with (not broached) rods. I do have good valves in the heads, factory guide plates, good springs and pushrods plus a wieand stealth intake and a 850 DP.
    The heads are DOOE-r's and I did not CC them to find the actual volume. I was running a MSD 6 ignition and never once hear the engine ping under load in my 64 GALAXIE regarless of what gas I put in the thing. It really never saw a load for long though since it has 4:30 gears, I did run it real fat and stinky on the jetting.
    My main concern is with running that high of compression under the continuous load of boating. The friend I bought the boat from said he would regularly burn the tops off his chebby dome pistons until he got the compression down around 9.5 BUT he was running the boat REALLY hard.
    I don't know what to expect as far as speed but at 4000 RPM with the BBC engine I felt like I was gonna fly out of the boat, I dont expect I will be spending much time over 5000 RPM at all! One never knows though...

RiverGames
    Correct Me If Im Wrong But I Believe You Need Brass Freeze Plugs If You Want To Run It In A Boat

Correct Me If Im Wrong But I Believe You Need Brass Freeze Plugs If You Want To Run It In A BoatNo, you don't need to run brass but you need to keep track of the steel plugs for rust. One drawback of the brass freeze plugs is they don't hold as tight as steel because they are softer and more mallable. They are more prone to blow out under pressure.

2manymustangs
    I did put in new freeze plugs when the block was freshened up (hot tanked and power honed with a torqe plate bolted on).
    So you think that I can get a season out of the engine before I put in a 4.25" stroker kit eh? :devil: