Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on 27-28' boats???

Mike.M
    I am considering the following boats - Fountain 27 Fever, 27 Formula, Donzi 28ZX. If the boat reaches 65 - 70 mph I will be happy. I will be using it mainly in the Pacific Northwest - both in the ocean and in lakes. The Donzi is the only twin engine under consideration. I currently am leaning toward the Fountain, however I would like some feedback from anyone who already owns one of these - ie. opinions, what things should I consider etc. I have been boating for years, however this will be my first high performance boat. Thanks!

Havasu Cig
    I would go for the Donzi. We have a Top Gun and the thought of having two motors when boating in the ocean just sits a little better with me. There are other reasons I like twins as well, and Donzi builds a very nice boat. Go to Offshoreonly.com, there are alot more people on that site familier with the above boats you have listed.

Steamin' Rice
    Are you set on the boats that you listed above? If you are interested, there are a few west coast custom builders that make boats in the size rnage you are looking at that can hold their own in the ocean.. Like HavasuCig mentioned, you will be able to get a lot of feedback on the boats you listed over at www.offshoreonly.com. You can probably get a lot of feedback on west coast boats on this website if you are considering any of those.
    Having said that, out of the boats you listed, I would probably lean towards either the Formula or the Donzi. The Fountain is going to be the smallest boat out of the three, with room comparable to a 24-25' boat due to the "beak" and integrated swim step. If you plan to do much water skiing, a single engine is nice for that. If you don't plan for much water skiing, twins would be nice for peace of mind in case you encounter any motor issues... Good luck with your shopping...
    [ April 16, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Steamin' Rice ]

cbudge
    If you are serious about performance and quality and a boat that loves the rough check out 28 Bullet www.Howardboats.com

NashvilleBound
    Havasu Cig has it right.. offshoreonly.com Do a search on relivent material and you will be amazed how much info there will be. Me, I'm looking at the DCB Extreme 28 set up with blown twins (aren't we all ). Same setup as my Ultra 247 but slightly larger..oh, and a tad more power.
    Good Luck NB

hpron
    If you are serious about wanting a boat that handles the rough then hands down it would be a Warlock either 27 or 29.....hands down favorite for racing in any kinda water.....just my .02 and experience

DEEZ NUTTS
    hpron, Do you have a warlock? My next boat will be a 27 or 29. I love it when its rough(the water). I have kicked around buying a used F1 boat but am not ready to upgrade just yet. what speeds are you getting with what power? I know the pleasure set up will be heavier and slower than F1 trim.

hpron
    Deez Nutts
    Yep.......I do have a 27 right now..have raced the 29 in F1.....fully dialed in 82 to 83 range and you dont have to lift when the water gets snotty...I am currently running a 27 in the APBA east coast now.....just finished Daytona..my throttleman is new to a Warlock and was amazed on how the ride was through the rough stuff.churned up water from 42 boats running the course..pleasure version with a stock 500efi will run 77-79 mph....its takes a lot of prop work..

Havasu Cig
    A friend had a 27 Warlock and it was a great boat, handled rough water well. He loved the boat but said he would not buy another because of the service or lack of that he received from the factory. This was acouple years ago, I don't know if things have changed since then.

HAULNZ
    We have a 2002 Donzi 28ZX and love it. We looked at boats for over a year, did all the research, toured the factories, test drove, and in my opinion, picked the best boat. The qaulity and attention to detail in a Donzi is great.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast