Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no power above 2000 rpms

sanger_455
    i have a 76 sanger wit a 455. i ran it all day sat fine then i went to run it sun and i couldnt get any power above 2000 all the motor would do is chug and miss. i checked the bowl, changed the fuel water seperator. i was told it may be a cap and rotor which i am having trouble finding at local part stores. its a mallory comp distributor, part number 9163401. so my questions are: is it a cap and rotor? and were is a good place to look

Sleek-Jet
    Did you check your float level on the trailer or on the water??

DetroitJim
    I bet you a beer the fuel filter or the fuel line is plugged up. Probably not ignition. Next guess would be the timing chain puked.

sanger_455
    i never checked the float level before? how do you do that? i hear the float fill up just fine when i pump the ball and it stays stiff even after the syptoms arise.
    and i know the line isnt clogged beacuse when i took out the fuel/water sep i squeezed the ball and fuel shot out fine.

i never checked the float level before? how do you do that? i hear the float fill up just fine when i pump the ball and it stays stiff even after the syptoms arise.
    and i know the line isnt clogged beacuse when i took out the fuel/water sep i squeezed the ball and fuel shot out fine.
    You have a primer bulb in your fuel line?

Must be an eggbeater v-8.

Moneypitt
    What changed between Saturdays operation, and Sunday morning? Did you add fuel to the tank? Any wiring issues addressed Saturday evening?.....What fuel was in the boat Saturday?.......Any chance the tank (s) took on water overnight? When was the last time you bought fuel? It is possible for a watered down load of fuel to work one day and then settle out to the bottom overnight.......Cap and rotor, I don't think so, not overnight........Did anybody mess with anything after Saturdays running?...........MP

Terminal Velocity
    just out of curiosity as well. have you grabbed the distributor and tried to turn it by hand? i've had them come loose before and it would do the same thing go to a certain RPM and just fall on it's face. to be retarded enough to fall on it's face at 2000 rpms i'd wonder if it would even idle worth a damn but you never know. At the least i'd throw a timing light on it and see if it's still correct.

TIMINATOR
    A stuck mechanical advance in the dist can cause that problem. Just remove the cap and see if the rotor can advance, sometimes the rotors will distort or it may just be sticking. The timing will be so low that the engine just can't make any power above 2500 or so. TIMINATOR

Sleek-Jet
    I guess we should ask what kind of Carb you are running.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast