Thread: Oil Pump Pick up

BrendellaJet
    I am planning a build up for my boat and was curious to see if it is it considered cheap insurance to weld the pick up tube to the oil pump housing? Is it really worth it to have it welded on?

Clown
    argue I have always welded the pickup to the pump.I have seen friends not do it and the pick worked it's way up so that it was out of the oil
    leeving them with a problem with oil pressure argue
    But I'f you don't have access to a welder you should make shure that it has a support that you can bolt to the pump.
    And if you weld it use a nickel rod idea
    If you try brazing it you need to get the housing to FKIN hot in order to braze It will distort the housing burningm

ACCEPTENCE
    Mock the pump, pick up and oil pan, remove the pump and have the pick up welded in place. Hate to see your holiday weekend go to shit over lack of a twenty dollar weld, not to mention the motor all juncked up...

intimidator
    YEA YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS CHEAP INSURANCE.HAD A 87 IROC IN 93, WHEN YOU HIT THE BRAKES HARD THE PRESSURE DROPPED TO 0. AND A 67 FIREBIRD BIG BLOCK CHEVY SAME PROBELM. YEA LIKE THE POST BEFORE WELD IT ARE BUY A BRACE FOR IT. WHEN YOU WELD IT 2 QUARTER INCH TACKS ON EACH SIDE WILL DO. THEY SUGGEST TO REMOVE OIL RELIEF SPRING. AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT GET IT TO HOT NVER HAD A PROBELM. BRACE IT OR WELD IT DEFINETLY.

Craig
    Cheap insurance! Weld that puppy

LeE ss13
    Make sure the welder knows what they are doing. The pickup is a different metal than the pump. I have had 2 break and fall off. I now only use bolt on ones. They are expensive, but you can use them over and over when you replace pumps.

Mark Sims
    I've welded a bunch of them on. Yes they are two different metals but a good welder will have no problem. If you cant find someone to do it ship it to me and i'll do it at work for free.

Liberator TJ1984
    The best way is to MIG weld it ,won't get as hot and still do a good job..if you have over 5grand in your motor I would also suggest a better pump like a Titan..my 2c..good luck

DansBlown73Nordic
    When I rebuilt my BBC in my Stevens a few years ago, I pulled the pan and found the pick-up laying in the bottom of the Pan! eek!
    I had run the balls out of it the year before. It never skipped a beat.