Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tming follow up.

Hi delemorte. I hope I'm not messin you up. I'm a little concerned that maybe the prev owner jetted for no pcv. And now maybe your lean. (with all the added air), And I'm probabley the wrong one to talk to about advance because all my stuff runs better at 37ish.(but i'm at4500 ft) I'm hopin someone has something smarter to say than me . I'd buy some new plugs and compare them to the old ones after you run it.

gbelt
    Sounds ok to me, I'd run it on the water and see how your like it, you could probably use a couple more degrees at rpm, but you probably wouldn't notice any difference. Keep in mind also that the engine isn't loaded sitting on the trailer, that 1100 might become 900 when it's in the water. I've got mine set so it idles about 900-1000 when in the water, I don't run it unless it's in the lake anymore but out of the water it used to idle between 1000 and 1100. I run about 14 initial and 36 total all in by 2500 on my SBC.

tbcseod
    Sounds ok to me, I'd run it on the water and see how your like it, you could probably use a couple more degrees at rpm, but you probably wouldn't notice any difference. Keep in mind also that the engine isn't loaded sitting on the trailer, that 1100 might become 900 when it's in the water. I've got mine set so it idles about 900-1000 when in the water, I don't run it unless it's in the lake anymore but out of the water it used to idle between 1000 and 1100. I run about 14 initial and 36 total all in by 2500 on my SBC.
    Thats true about the idle, mine runs 1100ish off lake 750-800 in water
    As for advance - run it and see, I run 13 or so idle and total at 2600 is about 44 (if I recall)
    As for the to PCV or not to PCV issue, I'd go t the lake and plug the line and run a hour with it plugged and read the plugs, then unplug it and repeat - if no differance run it with the PCV if they start reading lean then I would fatten the carb mix up some (But that is just me - I don't like to run without PCV valves - they are a good way to pull out blowby and condensation. Especially in a engine that is sprayed and doused in water every time its used).
    Just my opinion, nothing else.
    ~T

delemorte
    Thanks for the feed back guys. Yeah i think im done with the engine until it can get it in the water and see how it runs. who knows what some load on that impellar will do.
    The reason i hooked up that PVC is that the guy who my dad had build the engine put the line there but just did not attach it to anything. So i think he had the intention of doing it but did not have a PCV sittin around. I did have it plugged up to see how it would run and it ran fine but it looked like the advance was all jacked. as soon as i put the pvc in it ran great.
    So i think im done with that for a bit. I Need to replace some of the cooling hoses. It looks like he re-used a bunch of the cooling hoses and i dont want one of those bad boys springing a leak or rupturing mid run and gettin me stuck..
    Something else i noticed is that the thermastat waited till she got pretty warm, over 250, before it seemed to open up and cool it back down to 180. Do you think it was just stuck after not being used? Thermastats are cheap enough so i though i would just replace. What temp is prefered for a stock set up SBC? I think i will regret asking that so lets all keep it friendly
    thanks again guys!!!

tbcseod
    What temp is prefered for a stock set up SBC? I think i will regret asking that so lets all keep it friendly
    I want to say 190 - I had a old shop teacher years ago explain that most engines are most efficient if they are about 190ish............ If the cylinder walls were 190 the water flowing around them would be close to 190 I think.................
    190(ish), thats my final answer :2purples:
    ~T

Delemorte I don't remember seeing a thermostate kit in the pics you sent me(at work) , I'll check tommorow if there are 4 hoses coming out of the housing then you have a thermostat in there if there are 2 hoses(or 1) then you have no thermostat. Never mind I just went back on another thread and it looks like you do have a thermostat kit.
    i don't know if it's good or bad, but I also couldn't stand watching my temp gauge solwly climb up,and then fall like a rock,so I drilled a couple of 1/8" holes in my thermostat.

delemorte
    Delemorte I don't remember seeing a thermostate kit in the pics you sent me(at work) , I'll check tommorow if there are 4 hoses coming out of the housing then you have a thermostat in there if there are 2 hoses(or 1) then you have no thermostat. Never mind I just went back on another thread and it looks like you do have a thermostat kit.
    i don't know if it's good or bad, but I also couldn't stand watching my temp gauge solwly climb up,and then fall like a rock,so I drilled a couple of 1/8" holes in my thermostat.
    Yeah thats whats freakin me out was it climbing then shooting back down.. Ill go replace it. they are cheap enough.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345