mikey:
SoCal Power:
Wetdream,
In 1976 I worked for a Hallett dealer by the name of American Marine in Anaheim. I believe your boat, or a duplicate, was sold through there. Can't remember how many Halletts were sold through American but they were all jets and v-drives. I was 17 at the time and thought the silver flake and yellow looked cool, still does.
I heard awhile back that Hallett bought SKV in the mid 70s to reduce the competition in the day- cruiser market. Does anyone know if that is true?
I have an SKV and am just curious.
scp Barron Boat works, builders of Hallett boats, bought SKV in the early/mid 80's. Gene Racine, founder/owner of SKV Boats, did not want to continue running the company and was looking for another builder to carry on the name. Nick Barron, Owner of Barron Boats, and Gene had been friends for many years. Nick agreed to buy the company and continue building the SKV boats. Some of the SKV employees made the move to Hallett, one still working there today. Hallett produced a few SKV’s and than put the molds in storage. In my opinion Gene Racine was one of the last great innovators in the marine industry. He never followed the trends like builders do today. When others built small ski boats, he built larger roomier day cruiser, including a few for the U.S. Coast Guard. In the early 70’s he built a mid engine deep vee ski boat, the 24 sun chariot with a 440 Chrysler, that is similar to today’s ski/wake board boats. In 1976 he started installing stern drives in day cruisers when others were still using v-drive or jets. He built the only cuddy cabin day cruiser with a panoramic front window that wrapped from one side of the boat, across the front and down the other side. All the tooling to bend/cut the glass and shape the metal trim for the window project was designed by Gene and built by SKV employees. SKV was never a high volume builder, producing about 30 boats a year. What model/year do you own?
Mike Mike,
Thanks for all of the info. Sounds like you were/ are pretty close to source. I have a 1972 20/21' day cruiser with a single shallow step on the deck and a white fiberglass wind-screen that wraps around the top of the dash. Has a shallow vee, ample freeboard and classic lines. I bought it less engine about 10 years ago and I'm finally going to get in the water late this season. Had an Olds/Jacuzzi WJ originally but I will run a BBChevy. I freshened the pump and added a Place Diverter. Will be running the river out of Blythe area (Aha Quin).
Thanks again,
Dave Batista