Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hallet Boats History ???

Wet Dream
    I'll have to dig through the paperwork again. As for the registration, I'm listed as a 19'er. Model BV19

mikey
    SoCal Power:
    Wetdream,
    In 1976 I worked for a Hallett dealer by the name of American Marine in Anaheim. I believe your boat, or a duplicate, was sold through there. Can't remember how many Halletts were sold through American but they were all jets and v-drives. I was 17 at the time and thought the silver flake and yellow looked cool, still does.
    I heard awhile back that Hallett bought SKV in the mid 70s to reduce the competition in the day- cruiser market. Does anyone know if that is true?
    I have an SKV and am just curious.
    scp Barron Boat works, builders of Hallett boats, bought SKV in the early/mid 80's. Gene Racine, founder/owner of SKV Boats, did not want to continue running the company and was looking for another builder to carry on the name. Nick Barron, Owner of Barron Boats, and Gene had been friends for many years. Nick agreed to buy the company and continue building the SKV boats. Some of the SKV employees made the move to Hallett, one still working there today. Hallett produced a few SKV’s and than put the molds in storage. In my opinion Gene Racine was one of the last great innovators in the marine industry. He never followed the trends like builders do today. When others built small ski boats, he built larger roomier day cruiser, including a few for the U.S. Coast Guard. In the early 70’s he built a mid engine deep vee ski boat, the 24 sun chariot with a 440 Chrysler, that is similar to today’s ski/wake board boats. In 1976 he started installing stern drives in day cruisers when others were still using v-drive or jets. He built the only cuddy cabin day cruiser with a panoramic front window that wrapped from one side of the boat, across the front and down the other side. All the tooling to bend/cut the glass and shape the metal trim for the window project was designed by Gene and built by SKV employees. SKV was never a high volume builder, producing about 30 boats a year. What model/year do you own?
    Mike

68 hallett
    well all i can say is that i get alot of peaple who ask me what hull i have and when i tell them its a hallett. everybody always says hallett is one of the best.

SoCalPower
    mikey:
    SoCal Power:
    Wetdream,
    In 1976 I worked for a Hallett dealer by the name of American Marine in Anaheim. I believe your boat, or a duplicate, was sold through there. Can't remember how many Halletts were sold through American but they were all jets and v-drives. I was 17 at the time and thought the silver flake and yellow looked cool, still does.
    I heard awhile back that Hallett bought SKV in the mid 70s to reduce the competition in the day- cruiser market. Does anyone know if that is true?
    I have an SKV and am just curious.
    scp Barron Boat works, builders of Hallett boats, bought SKV in the early/mid 80's. Gene Racine, founder/owner of SKV Boats, did not want to continue running the company and was looking for another builder to carry on the name. Nick Barron, Owner of Barron Boats, and Gene had been friends for many years. Nick agreed to buy the company and continue building the SKV boats. Some of the SKV employees made the move to Hallett, one still working there today. Hallett produced a few SKV’s and than put the molds in storage. In my opinion Gene Racine was one of the last great innovators in the marine industry. He never followed the trends like builders do today. When others built small ski boats, he built larger roomier day cruiser, including a few for the U.S. Coast Guard. In the early 70’s he built a mid engine deep vee ski boat, the 24 sun chariot with a 440 Chrysler, that is similar to today’s ski/wake board boats. In 1976 he started installing stern drives in day cruisers when others were still using v-drive or jets. He built the only cuddy cabin day cruiser with a panoramic front window that wrapped from one side of the boat, across the front and down the other side. All the tooling to bend/cut the glass and shape the metal trim for the window project was designed by Gene and built by SKV employees. SKV was never a high volume builder, producing about 30 boats a year. What model/year do you own?
    Mike Mike,
    Thanks for all of the info. Sounds like you were/ are pretty close to source. I have a 1972 20/21' day cruiser with a single shallow step on the deck and a white fiberglass wind-screen that wraps around the top of the dash. Has a shallow vee, ample freeboard and classic lines. I bought it less engine about 10 years ago and I'm finally going to get in the water late this season. Had an Olds/Jacuzzi WJ originally but I will run a BBChevy. I freshened the pump and added a Place Diverter. Will be running the river out of Blythe area (Aha Quin).
    Thanks again,
    Dave Batista

Jeff Fry
    Hi So Cal Power, And Mikey!. So Cal you missed a great weekend at the C B B B.
    Mikey that is cool that you know about SKV and Gene. My dad had the first 72 Short Deck Jet thet Gene built, it was even in the 72 Anahiem Boat Show. I recently aquired # 4 out of the mold Shoet deck jet that im currnetly refurbishing. I went to the C B B B this weekend with "Banzai" its name, lol and had a blast. Im always looking for people who have or know about SKV's.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/928DCP_0484.JPG[/img]

HotHallet
    I have a 77 Bubbledeck with a 460 Ford and Berk JC. It has the original white and candy red flake gel with OT Bassetts. I love my boat and everyone I know who knows anything about boats respects the Hallett name.

Jeff Fry
    Hey so cal! If that pic you have of the powder blue hull is yours, thats considered a long deck. If you look at mine, you will see i have a little more cockpit room,. mine is the short deck jet. Then came with 455 olds and standard Jacuzzi wj pump. I have a 454 in mine with a wj pump. if you type skv in the search option in the image center , you will see some photos of mine.
    Are you going to restore that boat? This hull design is truely a classic. [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/928DCP_0484.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/928DCP_0560.JPG[/img]

SoCal Power
    The blue one is mine and I do plan on a partial restoration in the near term. Not doing the paint right away. Will get to it maybe after next season. Thanks for helping out with the model "long deck". I had no clue what the model was. I've never driven an SKV, just bought it for the classic lines. How does yours handle and ride? The pump in the picture in your last post looks like a Y. Did you change it since the pic was taken?
    I'll post some more pics when I get going on it. Putting a 1987 454 (with 049 heads) in it in a couple of weeks. Shooting for Labor day but will likely have it done in mid-late Sept.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Dave

Hallett19
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DCP01587-med.JPG[/img]
    Here is my boat, its a 76, not a bubble deck though, I dont know what its called, I know its a model number MC18, but it measures 20ft. I love it, when it runs, it holds all my friends, my stereo, 2 coolers and its great to wakeboard off of !!! Hallettdave has the same boat as me, those are the only 2 I have seen.
    [ August 14, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

Jeffery Fry
    Hi dave, no problem any questions on the SKV, feel free to ask. Your right, I made a mistake mine is a YJ. The boat loves glass , just like a flattie. Lite chop its ok and rough water it will take but it will beat you up. Dont let the big hull fool you lol. With the runner bottom, it handles good. I was playing with the nozzle adjustments this past weekend, my allen set screw in the pump is broke, so the pump adjustment screw kept going all the way down. I couldnt keep it @ 0 so the nose was down in the water. It will turn sharp and fast but as a kid i always remember my old man taking turns slow beacuse the 455 would suck oil in the turns and he smoked a engine one year from that. It has the charectoristics of a circle boat with the amenities of a daycrusier. Thats the best way to put it! Gene made no mistakes with this one!
    It seemed that it rode better @ 4000-4500 rpms, but I think because the nozzle was all the way down (basicly pushing alot of water below 3800) it will ride better once i can set the screw and hold the nozzle @ 0. Im going to elsinore on sunday, im going to play with it there and see.
    Id be really intersted in seeing your progress on the boat, and even seeing it on the river! Let me know, maybe we can get a SKV group going. Im always looking for SKV owners. Most of them are older, because of the era of the boat but still its cool to get to know people.
    As you can see, mine is in the rehab process too!
    My skv photos Rehap page
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/928DCP_0543.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/928DCP_0536.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/928DCP_0546.JPG[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast