Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC wet sump oil pump

Warp Speed
    Having no modern day (last 20 years!) experience in wet sump systems, what is the best wet sump pump (internal) these days?
    I am currently running a 22163 Moroso Billet Alluminum racing pump in my 598, and although it is a nice looking piece, I am less than impressed with the pressure and consistancy of pressure, especialy throughout the operating oil temp range.
    Warp Speed

BDMar
    I doubt the oil pump is at fault for inconsistent pressures. I would look at oil temperature. Oil pressures are affected by bearing clearance, rod side clearance, aireation, and especially temperature. The more clearance, the more oil temp affects the pressure. The type of oil will also affect the pressure drop per temperature.
    If it is low at idle and high at higher rpm's at cool temps, the end clearance in the pump can probably be tightened up.
    Many things to consider...

VAMI
    I m not sure where the bypass oil goes on those pump but other conventional pumps that have a internal pickup can have fluctuating o/p from the bypass dumping back into the pickup.

Warp Speed
    I doubt the oil pump is at fault for inconsistent pressures. I would look at oil temperature. Oil pressures are affected by bearing clearance, rod side clearance, aireation, and especially temperature. The more clearance, the more oil temp affects the pressure. The type of oil will also affect the pressure drop per temperature.
    If it is low at idle and high at higher rpm's at cool temps, the end clearance in the pump can probably be tightened up.
    Many things to consider...
    I know everything else in the engine is proper clearance wise. The low pressure numbers also go hand in hand with low flow numbers. Indicating the pump being the problem.
    I took the pump apart and inspected for wear or damage, as the engine it came in had about 25 1/8th mile passes on it. Everything looked great, so I just bolted it together figuring they had done their homework on such a pretty piece. After the short dyno session, I contacted Moroso about the 50psi pressure and low flow, and they told me that was about all the pump was going to push. They tried to sell me another pump meant for "bigger engines"!?!.
    Seeing that the gear size seemed to be decent, I put a little shim in the pump hoping for a little more. I think the problem is due to loose factory clearance, especialy for an aluminum housing in a submerged enviroment.
    That being said, has anybody had similar experience with this pump, or have another piece they recomend?
    Warp Speed

Warp Speed
    I m not sure where the bypass oil goes on those pump but other conventional pumps that have a internal pickup can have fluctuating o/p from the bypass dumping back into the pickup.
    Good point!
    That coupled with loose end-and/or side clearence could piss it off.
    Anything other than a standard Melling HV type recomended!?! Have always used conventional stuff in the past, just wondering if there was anything nicer out there these day's.
    Thanks,
    Warp Speed

Terminal Velocity
    Titan Speed Engineering
    http://www.titanspeed.com/content/pump/
    Fair warning they are NOT cheap.

here ya go, have that credit card polished up and ready to go http://www.titanspeed.com/content/pump/

Terminal Velocity
    well there you go, two votes for the titan.
    O and i treed you by 4 minutes.

fc-pilot
    I have used the System 1 and the blueprinted Moroso racing pump before. Both worked great for us. I plan on trying one of the new mellings pumps before too long as they have stepped up.
    Paul

SmokinLowriderSS
    Good point!
    That coupled with loose end-and/or side clearence could piss it off.
    Anything other than a standard Melling HV type recomended!?! Have always used conventional stuff in the past, just wondering if there was anything nicer out there these day's.
    Thanks,
    Warp Speed
    Yea, a STANDARD VOLUME Melling.
    So many people want a high-vol. pump, where they THINK they need one, or consider it "insurance" of a sort, where if the engine is clearanced properly, they have no need for it, and only cause themselves oil starvation and poor drainback issues.
    My "mild" 454, running only 5qts of oil, 20w-50 Castrol Syntech, on the STOCK GM (melling makes them) oil pump, runs 23psi hot idle (830RPM), 58PSI hot @ 5,000RPM, for at least 8 miles (never screamed her farther), 52PSI cold idle (80* ambient or so).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast