Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BB ford in a circle boat

pro53
    Has anyone ever ran a BB ford in a circle boat?I am wanting to run a BB ford in my Hondo Sprint boat off the balancer like a circle boat was wondering if the crank in a ford can handle the abuse?Do I need an aftermarket Forged crank?Anything I need to know special about running off the balancer?

You may want to read this first
    http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168353

Running_on_Empty
    why would they do that? is everyone just supposed to show up with the exact same boat?

pro53
    You may want to read this first
    http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168353
    Yea I read about that not gonna compete just like the setup
    Wanna play in the river.Is there any benfit from running off a balancer?Did Ford have a steel forged crank in a truck block?

WannabeRacing
    Running off of the balancer has two advantages.
    1) You can turn left.
    2) You can find props from other teams that may work for your type of boat. But good luck getting to try their "good" prop stash. But some of these guys have better props doing rust tests forgotton in some corner of the trailer than we will ever have on our boats.

dmontzsta
    Has anyone ever ran a BB ford in a circle boat?I am wanting to run a BB ford in my Hondo Sprint boat off the balancer like a circle boat was wondering if the crank in a ford can handle the abuse?Do I need an aftermarket Forged crank?Anything I need to know special about running off the balancer?
    I am in the process of doing it RIGHT NOW!
    I was going to build a "spec legal" SS BBF, but it is not a legal motor and my hull is not the lightest.
    To answer your questions:
    Yes, there is a GN boat that ran one, V-Drive Video's friend purchased it and it was off the snout. The only other ones I know of were driven off the flywheel. Bolt Nazi used to run a passenger car BBF crank with a RCD snout support. The BBF standard size snout is skinny and long and has not been put through the tests. I was lucky enough to find a factory forged crank, that came in Fords big dump trucks. They are pretty rare, but the snout is gigantic, bigger than any chrysler, chevy, etc... I am having it cut down to BBC size and going to put on a BBC balancer, just to make the connection simple.
    If you have any other questions, just let me know. I have pretty much beaten every aspect of this to death in my head over the past year and a half.

SK48
    There used to be some fords in circle boats, but the crank snout was not very strong. The two that I knew of ran reverse rotation motors, so they could run off the flywheel.

pro53
    I am in the process of doing it RIGHT NOW!
    I was going to build a "spec legal" SS BBF, but it is not a legal motor and my hull is not the lightest.
    To answer your questions:
    Yes, there is a GN boat that ran one, V-Drive Video's friend purchased it and it was off the snout. The only other ones I know of were driven off the flywheel. Bolt Nazi used to run a passenger car BBF crank with a RCD snout support. The BBF standard size snout is skinny and long and has not been put through the tests. I was lucky enough to find a factory forged crank, that came in Fords big dump trucks. They are pretty rare, but the snout is gigantic, bigger than any chrysler, chevy, etc... I am having it cut down to BBC size and going to put on a BBC balancer, just to make the connection simple.
    If you have any other questions, just let me know. I have pretty much beaten every aspect of this to death in my head over the past year and a half.
    What is a RCD scout support?Can you still buy them?What kind of cash for them ya think?I am going to run a blower motor.So what I am hearing is the simple way is to turn the motor around or just run a bb chevy?

Sangster
    If You got the money honey... They got the Part.... .....http://www.rcdengineering.com/

2manymustangs
    The 391 truck cranks are steel and have a larger than passenger car snout. Castillo Bros south of L.A. have done alot of offset ground 391's to make stroker cranks with 2.2" crank throws. Should easily handle the abuse if you wanna run off that end of the mota. Get the Genesis 427 iron block approved and your in! The next question is WHICH of the numerous 427 heads are legal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast