Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting the carpet dry for storage

1968Droptop
    Up here in the great N/W boating season is pretty much done. The boat sleeps in my unheated shop. The carpets are still wet from our last trip. I want to put my cover over it, but I'm worried about mold forming. What can I do to get them dry when it's barely 50* outside ? I've heard about a marine dehumidifier, but do they work ? Thanks as always.

A small fan will even dry it out, fairly quickly too.

I'm with Sleek on this Droppy. Years ago we had a tree come through the roof of our old place during a storm. Called one of the emergency response folks to help with the water pouring through the roof and all they used to dry our carpet was fans. They told me that the steady air from the fans did a better job drying the carpet that using heat.

Jrork is right a carpet fan would be the ticket. I just bought one at home depot for about the price of what 1 days rental on one would be. Harbor freight has one with a switchable heater for under a hundred bucks.

earlbrown
    You could always mix up some hot water and detergent then hit it with a wet vac..

jetovatorjeff
    grap a 6 pack and your wifes hair dryer. Looks like you have the time since you had the time to created a thread like this.:sqeyes:

jimsplace
    The wet dry vacuum does wonders at drying, I also like the idea of the soap and water if necessary or appropriate. Then use the fan on what moisture is left.
    Most of us probably should use the vacuum more often any way.

1968Droptop
    I somehow totally spaced on the fan . I'll shop vac out what I can, the give it a blow job .

68, Years ago I discovered "desicant bags"! You can make your own with some old socks and desicant you buy at the super market or hardware store in a kind of milk carton thing ,just to refresh desicant is the crystal stuff that comes in the little packets in cameras ,electronics etc (I throw the little ones in my gun safe) Anyhow the sock bags will absorb an amazing amount of steamy moisture under the tarp ,especially on those one or two warm days you NW folks get a year (least thats what jrork says) My big boat sets out side most of the winter with a canvas cover and a "rip stop tarp" I also keep a cheap Long heating pad in the engine area on for those rare but occasional 30* nites Try it its cheap and easy Tom
    http://www.silicagel.net/

Or...................you can always park it at my place Droppy. Arizona is nice n dry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast