Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making boat unsinkable

77Woodbridge
    Did any of you guys add the pour in foam when redoing your floors? My cockpit is spongy so I was thinking that when I replace it I could make my boat unsinkable by adding the foam as positive flotation to the full length under the floor. What do guys think. Has anyone done it - good or bad idea? This is the stuff I was looking at using:
    http://www.jgreer.com/Foam%20Page.htm

firstjetinMN
    For the grace of god and the mercy on the next owner of the boat...
    Do not put foam under the floor of any boat. My 1978 Bubble deck was built with the foam under the floor and let me just say I spent hours and hours cutting & grinding out my floor and scooping out nearly 200 #"s, yes no shit.......200 #'s of soaking wet nasty foam that smelled like the panties of a $20 hooker and the bottom of a dumpster combined...
    I swear to god the smell permeated my skin, it took me almost a day to shake the smell.
    If you want to make your boat able to stand up to a navy destroyer and not "sink" put an old inner tube up in the front of the bow under the deck.
    Foam under the floor always soaks up water, I don't care how water tight you feel the floor will be when you are done, water gets in everywhere...
    If you want to do it the right way put an access plug at the back of your floor and at the front of your floor so you can get some air movement through the floor when you are storing the boat during non-use

FOURQ
    sure you can add foam to the floor but start saving the money to replace the floor in a few years cause the foam trapped and held the water and made your floor spongy AGAIN.
    there is no way to make it unsinkable but the inner tube under the bow will help keep it afloat when it does sink.

Boostedballs
    I just used busted up chunks of the white styrofoam and some of the expanding insulating foam that is used to seal window frames and stuff in homes. That stuff comes in the crispy hard and spongy. I used the crispy stuff because it seems to float better and may actually help firm the floor up a bit. I think I used about 6 cans of it. Each can was about a cubic foot.
    I not sure if I used enough to float the boat but I'm sure there is enough that the boat will stand on it's end at the bottom of the lake!
    I have been thinking about making a divider with a bunch of bubble wrap in the nose? hmm
    I hear you guys about the nasty wetness, but there was no foam. The floor in my boat was rotted so bad I removed most of it with my bare hands. There was about 40 gallons of water under there that would not drain out. I used a hole saw on the new floor all the way up to the nose and one that dumps into the bilge. The one in the bilge has a stainless pipe epoxied into it with a rubber plug. It does nothing for the water trapped on the outboard sides of the stringers though.

ck7684
    I'd be against the foam also...most all of that stuff I've seem absorbs water. There are other things you could stuff under there, like swim noodles

Placecraft Dragstar
    Someone put a bunch of foam in one of my old boat, and yes the smell is BADDDDDDDDDD!!!! spent hours taking it all out. I weighed it and it was over 200lbs. when all was out due to water soaked. Boat was alot lighter when I was done with it. Why are you so concerend about making it unsinkable?

vee-driven
    200 #'s of soaking wet nasty foam that smelled like the panties of a $20 hooker and the bottom of a dumpster combined...
    Now that there's a discription!

OverKill
    Get a few trash bags and stuff them full of Ping Pong Balls, then put them under the bow. No S**T it worked for the MythBusters.
    OverKill

MudPumper
    The Titanic was unsinkable and look how that turned out.....:idea:

asch
    200 #'s of soaking wet nasty foam that smelled like the panties of a $20 hooker and the bottom of a dumpster combined...
    I hasten to ask how you know this??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast