Thread: Carb help please.....

CoastGuardSteve
    I took posession of my new carb yesterday and set about installing it on my boat. When I went to give it a quick test, the fuel line fittings on the bowls started to leak. I passed it off thinking that it was a result of the cheap chrome fuel feed tubes. I replaced them with another and tried again with the same results. I went and bought new carb fittings and a new stainless tube set.....same results. I am so frustrated right now that I cannot even see straight!!! I have spent more than $100 on stuff today that doesn't seem to be fixing the problem, not to mention the time I have spent driving around in this damn Bay Area traffic!! I am supposed to be headed out to the Delta tomorrow so that has only added to my anger level. The thought of going without my new carb has really chapped my @ss pretty good. I just needed to vent a little before I start breaking stuff.
    Hope your day has been better than mine,
    Steve

77charger
    Is it a holley?if so do you have a very thin washer between the carb fitting and carb?if you do are they tight.make sure that the harline goes in smoothly.if it still leaks i dont know what else can be.

460Dave
    I had the same problem after rebuilding my 750 Holley DP and installing a new, inexpensive fuel rail.
    The fix was to cut washer shaped gaskets from the extra gaskets in the rebuild kit. The gaskets were installed between the rail and carb fitting.

DansBlown73Nordic
    So thats the trick eek! Sounds like you have a burr or some kind of bend problem where the line is not contacting the fitting properly........

Hotcrusader76
    460Dave:
    I had the same problem after rebuilding my 750 Holley DP and installing a new, inexpensive fuel rail.
    The fix was to cut washer shaped gaskets from the extra gaskets in the rebuild kit. The gaskets were installed between the rail and carb fitting.Thread sealer and thick Nylon washers are the only way to go. I have had no problems with any carb that left our shop with that set-up. With steel washers you need alot of sealant and pressure to tighten that fitting.
    -Ty

CoastGuardSteve
    Thanks for all of the help! It's a new day and I managed to keep my promise to the girlfriend last night by taking her to dinner. As a result of keeping my promise she said we could go to the Delta tomorrow so that I can take my time getting everything nailed down on the boat. The best part is that she paid for dinner because I was so bummed out last night!
    Thanks again everyone,
    Steve
    **Oh, and the leak was between the flare and the fuel tube not the bowl and fitting.

CoastGuardSteve
    With some VERY SIMPLE advice from Jesse this morning I managed to cure my carb woes. First off though I want to clear the air here......
    I didn't intend for my initial post to sound like a flame against the BIGS gang. I was just disappointed that my new toy wasn't working out as I had imagined it would. Now for the confession....I was at fault with this whole fiasco. The advice that Jesse provided me this morning was simple at best. He merely asked to ensure that I had backed up the carb bowl fitting with another wrench while tightening the fuel line fitting! I replied, with an immediate self realization, that I had not. No one to be angry with but myself!
    The best news is yet to come though. When I finally managed to fire the engine it did so in a very crisp manner. It settled into a nice idle that will require no adjustment from me at all. I blipped the throttle once and was rewarded with a very sharp response. I am VERY confident that I will be even more pleased with this carb once I get my boat out on the water tomorrow.
    The moral of this tale is that the simplest things in the world can be the hardest to fix. I was so stubbornly sure that I done everything right that I wouldn't stop to see the BIGS picture. Live and learn.
    Thanks for all of the help,
    Steve
    **A quick side-note here.....I didn't want to reveal the carb builder since I did not think that they were at fault. Thanks to Jesse and his patience in helping me resolve this.