Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reinstalling gas tank

my left side tank came loose. i pulled it out and all the boat builder did
    was install it then used a little bit of what looks like just resin on the outside lip. what would be the best way to reinstall it?

GAWnCA
    You have too many toys!!! I have read where someone made some wooden wedges for under the bottom of the tank and wedged it up into place and then glassed the tank to the bottom. I may do this with my Miller when I get to that point. My right one is held in place by the back bench seat and the battery and the left one isn't much better.

468miller
    spend the cash and have the whole tank glassed in real thick and firm, i put new tanks in mine, just cuz i wanted more fuel capacity, and the old ones were shit. I HAD A TANK COME OUT OF A BOAT A FEW YEARS AGO AND RUNIED MY LABOR DAY WEEKEND. i know im putting way to much money into my boat, everyone tells me to stop, but hey its what i like....... , but seriously pay the few hundred bucks and have em glassed in, before you do dump a gallon of simple green in the tanks and let em sit an hour then swish it around, then let sit and rinse em out, you will be amazed they will look and shine like new

GAWnCA
    spend the cash and have the whole tank glassed in real thick and firm, i put new tanks in mine, just cuz i wanted more fuel capacity, and the old ones were shit. I HAD A TANK COME OUT OF A BOAT A FEW YEARS AGO AND RUNIED MY LABOR DAY WEEKEND. i know im putting way to much money into my boat, everyone tells me to stop, but hey its what i like....... , but seriously pay the few hundred bucks and have em glassed in, before you do dump a gallon of simple green in the tanks and let em sit an hour then swish it around, then let sit and rinse em out, you will be amazed they will look and shine like new
    Dang It 468 - Now I'm going to have to do that too. Naw, I'll wait until I do the complete restore on the hull. I'll wedge the loose one in with some wood and glass and get this thing wet before winter really set in.
    Jrork is going to get really tired of me asking him questions.

n8dawg
    I glassed mine back in after they came loose. Piece of cake. They aren't coming loose anymore, I'll tell you that!

GAWnCA
    I glassed mine back in after they came loose. Piece of cake. They aren't coming loose anymore, I'll tell you that!
    Did you take any photos?

n8dawg
    Did you take any photos?
    Nope, sorry no photos.

what all did you use to glass the tanks back in?:idea:

468miller
    resin.matting..........:idea:

DelawareDave
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...8&d=1194219837
    Nice knucklehead H/D. I had a 2 into 1 pipe like that on a panhead, years ago. First time out, couldn't stand the sound. Put a set of drag pipes on when I got back to the shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast