Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: out of control @ full speed...????

I got a little more that 500 HP in my TX 19 and I am struggling to get out of the 70's havent got but a few hrs on the motor but that shows you that a light weight hull, new motor, new pump still gives greif to run 80+
    Just for comparison son Josh's 16' boat runs 79.9 with 500 + HP Tom

thehotrodguy
    WOW! Lots of great advice, and thanks for the couple of compliments!
    1) How do I repair / replace the damaged intake?
    2) Should I remove or replace the loader? What should I switch to?
    3) I have used 3 things to check speed. The most accurate, in my opinion, was the radar gun used by a state trooper, although he shot me at 72 (I had 2 +me in the boat) and the pitot speedo read the same as best as my passenger could tell. The speedo is on the pass side console, all other guages are in front of me. We have used the TomTom GPS, which agreed with the in-dash speedo for the claim of 78 - that was me and a buddy, 8" chop on the river, and trimmed to perfection. So far I have not hit that again, but have no problem trimming to 75.
    4) Thanks for the comment on the sound, it's even better from in the boat, hoping that the weather cooperates enough to run this weekend.
    Thanks again, keep the advice coming!
    -THRG aka Andrew

centerhill condor
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1194557851
    lots of bolts...I'm doubtful that you can remove the suction stuff with the engine in the boat. Maybe yours is different.
    The intake grate mounting bolts holes should be drilled through so that you can put nuts on the bolts for extra security.
    Good luck
    CC

The only true way to fix your intake is to pull the motor and jet remove the intake and fabup/heliarc a new fin (if even repairable) or relace the intake with new or good used 250 to 700 range. RE the loader ,put a long striaght edge on the bottom (keel) ahead of but extending into the intake are. then check the horizontal "scoop" blade,leading edges versus the top edge of same straight edge.Try to shoot a pic of this and post its up.Tom
    BTW I've heard of folks "filling the bilge with Ice" to weld the intake in the boat " My OP this is in the catagory of "hey ya'll hold my beer and watch this", doesn't seem like a good idea to me !

sanger rat
    I agree, but lets not for get that this is a very small and narrow 21 foot boat. It has no more freeboard than a 18 Southwind. It's not like he's getting that speed in a 20 Spectra or one of it's countless clones.
    And, if I remember right, it's a 21 in name only...if it was even advertised as a 21. For some reason I'm thinking it was sold as a 20. Long time ago.
    Thats the same hull as the Tahiti Super Cruiser right? I believe that the boat is running that fast. With some pump hardware tunning it should go even better.

sanger rat
    Being that damaged you could cut them both off and try Unchained's duct.

Sleeper CP
    Now you're thinking
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Placecraft Dragstar
    That might work but nobody can answer any question. Does it cause lift? Does it make your boat go straight? and they wont even post any test results. So WTF what does it do other then cause drag? Or did they put some speed coat on it? :idea:

IMPATIENT 1
    I did it to point the nozzle up. The jerk left happens with tail up, but not necessarily all the way. If it hapens again (and I'm guessing it will) will I regain control if I flick the tail down lower? Obviously the wedge needs to come off (or point down) - but the million dollar question I have is
    WHY
    does it go to the left, and why so suddenly & violently? I want to understand the problem....:idea:
    better check your loader, shoe and ride plate. it sounds like something may be lose under the boat. a lose loader will make a boat do some funny things, ask me how i know

IMPATIENT 1
    that is a good idea!
    all ya gotta do is cut the other fin back to match the broken 1, then reshape them similar, its not that big a deal but 1 good fin and 1 bad fin will make it pull real hard.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast