Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: out of control @ full speed...????

sanger rat
    well with a 502 mine will run 55 and I have it on video, gps, radar and speedometer.
    but back to the thread; pull that intake fabricate a couple of fins
    cut off whats left of that one and cut off the good one
    weld both new fins on, so that they are idenitcal.
    and put it back together.
    before you kill someone:jawdrop:
    Why does it even need fins? They put the E-F pump in some of the cruiser hulls. No fins on a E-F pump.:idea:

IMPATIENT 1
    My last boat ran 84.5gps with a 461cu in BBC and a conservative setup. The hull was a heavier Kachina and it still hauled azz....
    its does more than that(70+), he was only getting 3/4 throttle he showed up to pick the boat up the same day the boat fired to life after being totally rebuilt, new bottom, changing it up from bbf to bbc.still has a few bugs to work out, but he's gonna make some real wot passes this weekend

True....
    he could just cut them both off and try it.

IMPATIENT 1
    Why does it even need fins? They put the E-F pump in some of the cruiser hulls. No fins on a E-F pump.:idea:
    your not gonna see too many 12je or f pumps runnin over 80 without a ton of shoe or loader also
    when you really get to "flyin" a hull, the fins help keep the pump loading instead of letting air in like a 12je or 12jf will.i had a damaged fin, so i cut the other 1 back almost a full inch, sharpened them enough to slice right thru the 200lb alligator gars we have on our local lakes i can't tell any adverse effects of the fins being smaller, still ran 95+ with mild hp in my gullwing.

sanger rat
    No fins on the tin can boats.

thehotrodguy
    Re reading this thread and observing the pic of the loader area it also appears (over and above the broken intake fin longstra mentioned ) that you have what looks like a "river racer" ramp loader grate (hard to see in the pic) if this is the case it (the loader itself) could be causing or aggravating the handling problems you express. The horizontal blades leading edges must be trimmed to the keel to make these work effectively and safely Tom
    I believe this may be thr problem. It was sunny and ALMOST 50 degrees today (nice November weather) so I took her out. Before I did, I thought to look under the boat and SHAZAM! - the loader leading edges are clearly lower than anything else. I also noticed a new thing today - had a buddy with me who is about 50 lbs heavier than I am - and when I trimmed the diverter all the way down (bow down, no tail) the boat seemed to want to go right.
    LOL - I no longer need a steering wheel - tail up = left, tail down = right, tail middle = straight!
    Lastly, just for interest, I was running down a buddy in his 21' Liberator. At about 72ish I ran out of gas (OOOOPS!!!!) - but the boat very smoothly and peacefully glid to a perfect landing and settled down, straight as an arrow.
    Not sure any of this makes a big difference in the grand sceme of things, but tomorrow I will trim the loader and see what if any changes result.
    THANK YOU ALL!!!!
    THRG

Thtg call me, pm or email .Very happy to help you "trim up" that loader as well as secure it properly Also coach you on some of the the other things as well if you need help Tom

ck7684
    30 years ago when Tahiti owned the title as 'worlds fastest jet' (that still cracks me up) no one wanted to race against Clark in this boat because it would change lanes at will at the far end of the track.
    80mph with a little ol' 427 running a set of zoomie dry stacks and a JB berk, no shoe, no ride plate, no loader no nothin'. Just hang on and go. You guys are all chasing ghosts trying to get to 80. lol
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rktahiti-1.jpg
    Is this the same hull as my Cobrajet?? Mine ran 70 on the GPS with the stock mill. I just had a new, hotter engine installed and the pump freshened up. I havent had it out much, but I was running 5300 RPM before running out of lake. I backed out of it slowly, because I am nervous about this sort of thing happening...I do not have fins or a loader, just a stock grate. Boat feels faster, but I dont know for sure, it's been off the water awhile. I'm not looking for any more speed than I have now, I just dont want to lose control!!

centerhill condor
    better check your loader, shoe and ride plate. it sounds like something may be lose under the boat. a lose loader will make a boat do some funny things, ask me how i know
    Well, allright...how do you know?
    your not gonna see too many 12je or f pumps runnin over 80 without a ton of shoe or loader also
    when you really get to "flyin" a hull, the fins help keep the pump loading instead of letting air in like a 12je or 12jf will.i had a damaged fin, so i cut the other 1 back almost a full inch, sharpened them enough to slice right thru the 200lb alligator gars we have on our local lakes i can't tell any adverse effects of the fins being smaller, still ran 95+ with mild hp in my gullwing.
    You have 200lb gars?...Holy Cow, can you eat 'em?
    CC

we have alligator gar in our local lake. after the kids and wife saw a dead one washed up on shore they
    wouldn't get into the water for awhile. and ours are only
    about 5lbs.
    post a pic of a big one IMPATIENT 1

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast