Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming-"Greatest Scam in History"

Moneypitt
    I agree with you. That not all areas have efficient public transportation. Yeah it would turn a 8hr day into a 10 and 12hr day. But my point was it is not an imperitive necesity to drive to work. There are other means if you had to. I do not believe in government regulation. With exception of a very few things. My point was that 90% of our driving habbits are not necesity but pleasure and as such it is not comparable to utilities.
    Agreed, gasoline and utilities are not in the same league. I seem to remember back when things were regulated, AT&T, milk, etc etc.. Then regulations were lifted for competitive pricing to benefit the consumer, and the consumer, (you and me) took it in the ass...............Higher prices and less bang for the buck.....Then there were stories going the other way, un regulated to regulated.....And the consumer, again you and me, took it in the ass again.........Damn politicans...............MP

ULTRA26 # 1
    You may look at gas as an utility but it's not. Is it absolutely neccasary to put 100 gal in your boat and burn it all weekend? If you want government to regulate gasoline prices then they would have to regulate what is necessary travel also. That means no more driving up to the mountain to watch the sunset. The wife cannot just go window shopping at the mall for the hell of it and families can nolonger go on vacation as it in not a necesity to see Mickey Mouse. In fact very little of our driving habbits are necesity. In fact there is public transpotation for getting to work so you cannot count that one either.
    The part about gasoline for pleasure I agree with, but there is large portion of gasoline that is needed to get to work. Not all areas have public transportain, not to mention that oil is a natural resource, being that is comes from the earth. We don't agree about this and that's fine.

AzMandella
    The part about gasoline for pleasure I agree with, but there is large portion of gasoline that is needed to get to work. Not all areas have public transportain, not to mention that oil is a natural resource, being that is comes from the earth. We don't agree about this and that's fine.
    sure there are alot of areas that do not have public transportation making a car a nececity to get to work. But for many others like myself and from the looks of it you do not live in the boonies, it is more of a convenience than a nececity. for me it only takes 15 min by car to work. But would take 45min + by bus. That makes it far more convenient for me to drive. But if I didn't have a car there is no excuse for me to not be able to get to work. It just would take more time out of my day. People back east do it all the time. My brother in law lives in Jersey but works in Manhatten. He spends 1-1/2 hours each way. But it's still way cheaper than driving especialy with the prices they pay to park in Mqanhatten. I was there in June and went to B&H Photo in Manhatten and it cost me 25 bucks for 2 hrs. And I know for myself I burn way more gas in theother things I do than driving to and from work. It is in no way comparable to say Natural Gas to heat my house. SWG is the only providor for natural gas for quite a few states and that gives them a Monopoly. That's where Gov. regulation comes in hand.

ULTRA26 # 1
    sure there are alot of areas that do not have public transportation making a car a nececity to get to work. But for many others like myself and from the looks of it you do not live in the boonies, it is more of a convenience than a nececity. for me it only takes 15 min by car to work. But would take 45min + by bus. That makes it far more convenient for me to drive. But if I didn't have a car there is no excuse for me to not be able to get to work. It just would take more time out of my day. People back east do it all the time. My brother in law lives in Jersey but works in Manhatten. He spends 1-1/2 hours each way. But it's still way cheaper than driving especialy with the prices they pay to park in Mqanhatten. I was there in June and went to B&H Photo in Manhatten and it cost me 25 bucks for 2 hrs. And I know for myself I burn way more gas in theother things I do than driving to and from work. It is in no way comparable to say Natural Gas to heat my house. SWG is the only providor for natural gas for quite a few states and that gives them a Monopoly. That's where Gov. regulation comes in hand.
    AZM, I understand what you are saying. Most of my anger at big oil is not a result of today's prices and profits. 05 and 06 oil profits were insane. If the price of gas was to remain as it is today, vs the cost of oil, I wouldn't complain. But IMO in won't. I do respect your opinion and you make sense.

Old Texan
    I have inside info that said John is at one of his kid's basketball games this evening, he'll be back..........MP
    He's mad at me. Got his feelings hurt and is ignoring me.
    The old "he can dish it out but can't take it" apparently applies.

eliminatedsprinter
    OK, just for the sake of arguement lets agree that there is Global Warming. How does anyone know IF its man-made or a natural occurance? And If its man-made how does any pro global warming person account for the warming of Mars, that is warming at about the same rate the earth is? Could it be that the planets are warming because the Sun is getting hotter? What say you now, Algore?:idea:
    Actually it is believed that Mars is warming because it is in a warming phase in it's "solar wobble". Our Ice ages and warming trends are also influenced by our own "solar wobble", in addition to solar activity. "Greenhouse gasses" have always been thought to be a lesser factor in our warming/cooling cycles than "solar wobble" and solar activity. Galileo Galilei actually was the first to notice that climite warming was associated with increased sunspot activity.
    P.S. I'm no expert, but I do have scientists in my family (my father and step father) and I did take climatology in college.

ULTRA26 # 1
    Ultra, who sets the price of gasoline?
    Are you also suggesting we allow the government to regulate gas, food, and clothing? They regulate utilities......:idea:
    Which brings forth another question, is Cable TV a utility? Which leads us to is a Utility a necessity?
    Wellllllll......??????
    The price of gasoline is established by many factors, two which are supply and demand, and the price of crude.
    No.
    No, cable TV is not a utility.
    Wellllllllll what?
    He's mad at me. Got his feelings hurt and is ignoring me.
    The old "he can dish it out but can't take it" apparently applies.
    Feelings hurt about what? Are you OK?

Old Texan
    The price of gasoline is established by many factors, two which are supply and demand, and the price of crude.
    I have not found anyone or any where that has actually answered the question specifically. I wonder why? I agree with what you've stated and it's mostly in line with what I think and what apparently others think, but it surely seems there must be more to it as far as a set formula. Plus who exactly determines the formula?
    The Commodities Market for a large part must set the prices?
    OPEC has a lot of say in the price of crude.
    Available supply effects the cost of gasoline but there certainly seems more to than that. I'm pleading ignorance and continue to be very curious exactly how the prices are determined. Per barrel cost on the Commodities Exchange seems the most evident, but I really don't know.
    I know right now we have a lack of rigs in the Gulf of Mexica because drillers are getting at least double the daily rate in SA, Africa, and Asia. This surely leads to a shortage in domestic supply for the future.
    Texas rig builders (including a growing number of Chinese firms) right now are covered up building and refurbing equipment going out of the country. Again, drilling is happening more overseas and probably helping drive up prices.
    Someone??????

Actually it is believed that Mars is warming because it is in a warming phase in it's "solar wobble". Our Ice ages and warming trends are also influenced by our own "solar wobble", in addition to solar activity. "Greenhouse gasses" have always been thought to be a lesser factor in our warming/cooling cycles than "solar wobble" and solar activity. Galileo Galilei actually was the first to notice that climite warming was associated with increased sunspot activity.
    P.S. I'm no expert, but I do have scientists in my family (my father and step father) and I did take climatology in college.OK, I'll accept that. Wobble or the Sun getting hotter, either/or. Point being is that the climate change is not man-made and beyond our control. The people that want to make it political are the ones that stand to profit from the hype. These same people want to control more of our lives and reap tax $$$$ from the revenue collected from taxation and the sale/trading of carbon credits. Funny how the phrase "Global warming" got dropped like a hot potato when someone brought up "Global cooling" and all the hype that went with that in the 1970s. Now is called "Climate Change"... covers all bases no matter what the weather does. If it rains on a day that it didn't 3 years ago then it must be "Climate Change" and we're all doomed. If it snowed in an area that usually doesn't get snow...its "Climate Change" and "We need to do something about it now before its too late" If there is a drought somewhere then it most definitly "Climate Change" and "greenhouse gasses" need to be eliminated ASAP. If Co2 is so bad then why does all plant life need it to convert to oxygen via photosynthesis? Did Algore address this in his blockbuster movie?.....I dunno, didn't see the movie, I didn't want to contribute to 'Global Warming'.....Sorry....'Climate Change' by driving my car to the theater.

ULTRA26 # 1
    I have not found anyone or any where that has actually answered the question specifically. I wonder why? I agree with what you've stated and it's mostly in line with what I think and what apparently others think, but it surely seems there must be more to it as far as a set formula. Plus who exactly determines the formula?
    The Commodities Market for a large part must set the prices?
    OPEC has a lot of say in the price of crude.
    Available supply effects the cost of gasoline but there certainly seems more to than that. I'm pleading ignorance and continue to be very curious exactly how the prices are determined. Per barrel cost on the Commodities Exchange seems the most evident, but I really don't know.
    I know right now we have a lack of rigs in the Gulf of Mexica because drillers are getting at least double the daily rate in SA, Africa, and Asia. This surely leads to a shortage in domestic supply for the future.
    Texas rig builders (including a growing number of Chinese firms) right now are covered up building and refurbing equipment going out of the country. Again, drilling is happening more overseas and probably helping drive up prices.
    Someone??????
    Come on Tex. Since none of us know but you, please tell us.
    http://www.econedlink.org/lessons/in...4&page=teacher