Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fuel Pump"switch"

My new boat has no room for my std fuel pump ,so I'll need to go electric. To be legal don't you need a special "switch" so that if the motor dies and the key is left on the fuel pump shuts off? WTF is that called and where do I get one? Thanks Kreg.

Bajajet
    Low oil pressure switch. Oil pressure drops below preset level and no more fuel pump.

rrrr
    I use an oil pressure switch. When the OP is below 10 PSI it cuts off the pump. Just wire the pump circuit through the switch.
    I use the aux contacts on the starter soleniod to power the pump while cranking the engine, when it starts the OP switch closes and keeps power to the pump. I also have a WT sensor in the circuit so if the engine is overheating it turns off the pump.
    I ran the 12V + to the pump and switch the ground, it's easier that way.
    My ol' flattie has the gauges mounted on the front of the engine, so if I'm not paying attention hopefully the safeties prevent any damage.

OK oil pres switch, that makes sense. So I'll need to find a second spot to "plug into" my motor for another oil pres gauge, or is there such a thing as a "combo" oil pres gauge/sending unit that will read my pressure and act as the kill for the fuel pump?

rrrr
    OK oil pres switch, that makes sense. So I'll need to find a second spot to "plug into" my motor for another oil pres gauge, or is there such a thing as a "combo" oil pres gauge/sending unit that will read my pressure and act as the kill for the fuel pump?
    Use brass pipe fittings, the OP tap into the block is 1/8" or 1/4" NPT. Add a nipple and a tee, you're good to go.

N281PONY
    use the oil pressure switch to activate a relay for the fuel pump

Thanks all. The t makes sense.

Moneypitt
    Standard ol' down the road Vega oil sender has an additional spade on it for that very purpose.........AND, you can use the idiot light spade for a "Pro lite" oil pressure warning light. Alot of the dirt circle cars were using the Vega deal as a fuel pump kill switch...........MP
    PS: Also a very good idea to route the 12V to the pump through a relay.....

1968Droptop
    These guys are right on the money for wiring your elec pump, but why can't you use a mech pump ? Are you using a rail kit ? I'm thinking you should have enough room, I do :idea:
    P.S. Cool tip M/P, that kinda stuff is wht these boards are all about !

steelcomp
    Ditto on the relay. Don't run 12v from the battery, all the way to the dash, and then back to the pump. Lot of pumps burn out because of that. Use the dash switch to control a relay that's mounted as close to the pump and/or battery as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast