Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbery Suspect Charged With Murder After Alleged Accomplices Killed by Homeowner

Redding Rat
    This is interesting.....
    LAKEPORT, Calif. — Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.
    In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.
    "It was pandemonium" inside the house that night, District Attorney Jon Hopkins said. Hughes was responsible for "setting the whole thing in motion by his actions and the actions of his accomplices."
    Prosecutors said homeowner Shannon Edmonds opened fire Dec. 7 after three young men rampaged through the Clearlake house demanding marijuana and brutally beat his stepson. Rashad Williams, 21, and Christian Foster, 22, were shot in the back. Hughes fled.
    Hughes was charged with first-degree murder under California's Provocative Act doctrine, versions of which have been on the books in many states for generations but are rarely used.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311894,00.html

centerhill condor
    that's racism? they chose a white man's house, right?
    cool legal doctrine...btw. We might try him under "felony murder"...or criminal homicide. Where the malice of the felony becomes the forethought of the murder...thanks paul drake!
    CC

Shreve"T"
    Good for them... He should be held responsible....IMO..

Phat Matt
    Consequences for bad guys. What a thought.

SB
    I have never liked felony murder. Bad policy.

ratso
    I don't give a damn what race any of them were... string the bastard up.

Tremor Therapy
    I am with you Ratso. If the report just said 3 young men broke into the home, would anybody give a sh*t? Hell no, they would say good, let the no good theiving pile of sh*t swing for the crimes!
    But because 3 black men broke into a white man's home, now it it racism. I can't f*cking stand it when minorities pull the race card to try and take away from the real issue at hand!

CornWater
    Racism my ass.. Had a guy I went to highschool with, a real pussy, rob a drive-in theatre with his brother. The worker pulled out a shot gun, killed one of them and wounded the other brother. The surviving brother was charged and convicted of his deceased brother, even though he didn't pull the trigger. Plain and simple, the occurence of events solely lied with the brothers who decided to commit the crime.

Redding Rat
    It will be interesting to see if Jackson and Sharpton get involved

rodnjen
    The "Act" is actually used more than one might think. It is just getting a bad rap because it involved two different "races" rather than just an illegal act.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast