Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: So, what is it that makes an engine accelerate?

cfm
    Pressure differential
    I said 'Pressure' a few posts above yours. LOL.
    So pressure and pressure differential. I think we both rapped it up. LOL.
    It's not just about Atmospheric vs in cylinder pressure differential, but in cylinder (combustion) vs in crankcase psi.
    What does more air and fuel do ?
    What does a more effecient combustion space do ?
    What does more compression do ?
    What does a larger bore and/or stroke do ?
    What effects does ignition timing have ?
    Even though there are a ton of different aspects to it, this whole question IMHO can be answered by one or two words:
    Short version: pressure
    Long version: pressure differential
    Maybe a better version: pressure pulses (speaking about just comb chamber here)
    The higher the pressure pulse and the more pressure pulses you can create per minute/second/hour/what have you - the more work will get done.
    Doesn't provide for much talk though. LOL.
    ;;;;;;;;;insert bunch of smilies here;;;;;;;;;;;
    Saying this all laid back and just havin fun.

[QUOTE=cfm;2930330]I said 'Pressure' a few posts above yours.
    I agree with CFM. If its all about flow and physics, then why does it accelerate-rev -torq - whatever, faster when you use NOS? answer-pressure.

MACHINEHEAD
    Roger that CFM. My brutally honest father calls these kinds of "talks" yammering!:chi:

steelcomp
    Roger that CFM. My brutally honest father calls these kinds of "talks" yammering!:chi:I'd say then don't bother. You and CFM are obviously way far ahead of everyong else here.

steelcomp
    I said 'Pressure' a few posts above yours. LOL.
    So pressure and pressure differential. I think we both rapped it up. LOL.
    It's not just about Atmospheric vs in cylinder pressure differential, but in cylinder (combustion) vs in crankcase psi.
    What does more air and fuel do ? Adds the piotential for more heat
    What does a more effecient combustion space do ? allows a more effecient burn or combustion
    What does more compression do ? Forces more air/fuel into a smaller area, and if properly homoginized, burns more effeciently and creates a better combustion
    What does a larger bore and/or stroke do ? Larger bore aloows for better breathing by unshrouding valves, and also allows more surface area of piston top which can have positive and negative effects. Longer stroke offers more mechanical advantage for combustion to apply work to load.
    What effects does ignition timing have ? Countless.
    Even though there are a ton of different aspects to it, this whole question IMHO can be answered by one or two words:
    Maybe a better version: pressure pulses (speaking about just comb chamber here)
    The higher the pressure pulse and the more pressure pulses you can create per minute/second/hour/what have you - the more work will get done. Easy answer, but how do you create more "pulses" to get more work done?
    Doesn't provide for much talk though. LOL. That's just because you're being lazy.
    ;;;;;;;;;insert bunch of smilies here;;;;;;;;;;;
    Saying this all laid back and just havin fun. So what does crankcase pressure have to do with combustion pressure? Are you saying they're related, or just refering to crankcase atmosphere and it's drag on the rotating assy? That can certainly limit acceleration.
    Pressure is the byproduct of combustion. Pressure is what does the work, but pressure, or the amount of pressure is directly related to the combustion process. That's what makes an engine accelerate. What ever goes on in an engine, the ports, the cam, the ignition,l the AFR, the shape of the chamber and piston dome, etc....all are in the effort to promote better and more effecient combustion.

steelcomp
    [QUOTE=cfm;2930330]I said 'Pressure' a few posts above yours.
    I agree with CFM. If its all about flow and physics, then why does it accelerate-rev -torq - whatever, faster when you use NOS? answer-pressure.How does NOS create more pressure?

steelcomp
    As I see it, most of what you ask above is all symptomatic of what is really happening. When You punch it, WOT, the "acceleration" of the rpm's is what is physically necessary to reach the maximum RPM potential of the WOT condition.
    If all laws of motion could be thrown out, as well as the variables such as friction and inertia, the engine would instantly be at max rpm as soon as your foot went down.
    So it isn't what is "making" it accelerate. It's more what is "hindering" it from reaching the WOT condition.
    Or not.
    Tommy
    :idea: :idea: So what can be done to reduce the effects of what's "hindering" it from accelerating? You mentioned the laws of physics. In a sense, there are two worlds that an engine has to deal with... internal, or the combustion process, and making it as good as possible, and external, which is as you say, the laws of physics, and what's physically hindering the engine from accelerating. Maximize one, and minimize the other.

steelcomp
    I just spent the last hour or so reading all this, finally get to the end... and you ask what came first, the chicken or the egg??? WTF man??? The egg. Duh, I thought everyone knew that.
    OK now, really, I started to get intrigued when you brought up burn efficiency. I assume you're speaking of the science behind "fast burn" heads and such. Yeah, of coarse we all want to get the most air/fuel mix into the cylinder... You have a point! How, or what can we do to take full advantage of it's potential??? I am interested. I want to know! If we can extract more power from a given amount of air/fuel by design of the combustion chamber, pistons, etc. I'm all about learning more about it!Yes, that is huge. The relationship between the piston and chamber is all you really ahve to control what goes on in the chamber, and yes, you can have a lot of control there. For instance. Quench pads, or areas. What effect do these have on combustion? What can be accomplished with a properly designed piston dome, other than adding compression?

[QUOTE=Hass828;2931406]How does NOS create more pressure?
    provides 02 so that more fuel can be burnt. In other words more combustion. Not attempting to argue with you, I'm in total agreement.

MACHINEHEAD
    Steel, once we all figure out that you are the one that really knows your chit, it should be a great benefit to Foxwell Motorsports. Maybe you can sell a couple rotating assm. or even an engine. I'm going to start a thread called "Machinehead, Im the chit man". Now dont get all weird on me now. I think this is all good info and I hope that it continues. I will try to add to it if I can. However I still dont know what you are really asking. One thing just keeps leading to another. This is a huge subject. I dont think the gearheads forum is the place that you are going to get the info you seek. And it seems you already know the answers.