Thread: high torque mini starter

Bigern
    recently purchased and installing one, trying to figure wher the light brown wire goes for the ignition.(which terminal?) BBC

Does your boat have Electronic ignition? if so it's not used anymore, it was for the dropping resistor and coil, the 12v bypass. If you have a Points igintion, you need to hook it to the soliniod wire, and use a DIODE to prevent reverse current flow to the starter soliniod, once started.
    Sleek
    If you have the (I) terminal this is where the wire goes. The above is if you don't have more than two terminals
    http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tt4a.gif
    Or you can do this is you still run points and din't have the ignition terminal
    http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tt4b.gif

Tha above diagrams are what was the norm on automotive and the hardware typically used. The component requiring the need for this circuit configuration is the ignition switch. Many switches do not provide power to the ignition circuit when cranking... that's why the "I" terminal sends voltage to the coil from the starter side of the solenoid. If the ignition switch is replaced with one that DOES provide power to the coil when cranking, the diode is not needed and the wire from the I term to the coil (1st example) or wire from I term on the solenoid to the coil can be eliminated. A much simpler circuit with only one weak point I've found. If you have an ignition circuit that is sensitive to a minor voltage drop (and doesn't use a ballast resistor), it may not provide sufficient spark when cranking. I wired my roadster this way and it work perfectly with a Mallory Unilite system.

Dimarco Kid
    Kinda the same subject...not trying to hi-jack...but how well do mini starters mount in the "top mount" bellhousings? I want to get mine outa the bilge, what have you guys seen?

Kinda the same subject...not trying to hi-jack...but how well do mini starters mount in the "top mount" bellhousings? I want to get mine outa the bilge, what have you guys seen?
    If you can find one that will work, they spin in reverse when mounted up on top.
    Sleek

flat broke
    The part you need should be an IMI 302L at Rex Marine. It fits up top, rotates the correct way, and is a quality piece. When you call them, make sure to confirm the make and model of your engine and bellhousing so they can be certain of the fit. Should be right around $300.
    Chris

Dimarco Kid
    Thanks bro....sorry bout jacking the thread!

Captain Assin' Off
    I,ve got a Mini Hi torque in the Bilge, BBC. I had a failure after sinking, and upon dissasenbly, found a lot of gunk, so I drilled drain holes in the bottom, so water can escape, and a couple holes in the brush area, so you can squirt carb cleaner in there to keep it clean, and zero problems since. Do it.