Thread: Spark plug problem

ferrous
    Ok Im new at this - I have a big block Chevy with Guardian log headers. What would be the best and easiest to install spark plug. Right now I have NGK GR4 plugs, but they are impossible to install without removing the headers. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

Cas
    ferrous,
    The stock plug for a BBC is a AC R43TS or R44TS, I believe. As far as the getting them in and out easily, the plugs are pretty much all the same size so you need to find a tool that will make the job easier for you.
    Have you tried a swivel socket?
    Snap On also makes a double swivel spark plug socket
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/43700/43646.JPG

ferrous
    Thanks Cas, My engine is a 69 427 with Guardian logs. The plug that is recommended is a 13/16" hex and the socket alone will not fit on the plug with the logs on. I have most of the trick tools, but the problem is the socket clearance. I was wondering if there is a 5/8" hex plug that may be compatable.
    Thanks again

Wicked Performance Boats
    There is but I can't think of it . Will check at shop and post later. Budlight

Cas
    the AC plugs I listed are both resistor, 5/8" and should work just fine.
    Here's the info on the NGK plug you have
    14mm, 3/4" reach, 13/16" hex, gasket seat, resistor, projected tip, V-power (v-grooved center electrode), .039" gap

boater012
    Accell makes a shorty header plug for alot of applications they work well because they are half the length so its that much easier to get them in and out! they have them in different heat ranges for most applications and they dont foul easy ive run them in all my customers motors for years (where they had the proper application for what I was working on). Pep boys stocks them (arrrggghh choke gag) but they have the charts there for cross reference to what you currently have at least do yourself a favor and go check them out! p.s. they are nickel plated they dont rust up either. my .02 worth! i run them in my blower motors and they do great!

ferrous
    Thanks all, the 5/8" hex does work fine. I ended up useing NGK FR4 and they just slip in with a socket.
    Again Thanks for the help!