Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pan Windage Trays ?

Squirtin Thunder
    I purchased a Basset 10qt oil pan, same as the Dooley pan for a jetboat. It is the same as the one in the Ford Performance book on page 135. What do you guys think about the flat up curved windage trays ? I was told that the expanded steel type windage trays are 100% better and that this style does more harm than good, what is your take on this type ?
    Thanks

obierno
    I run blown alchol in a cheyenne 127mph @ 4400 elv with a 14qt dooley and the solid windage tray . NO oil problems but it is the pan, oil pickup and tray as a set. I had a hella time with oil pressure using mixed pans,pickups, and windage trays

Sleeper CP
    Here is a pic,
    http://www.dooleyenterprises.com/Oil...29460/pan1.jpg
    That is the same pan/windage tray combo that is on the 565" Ford. Have never had an oiling issue and have always had very consistent oil pressure even on 12 mile runs from 4,500 rpm's to 6,000 rpm's over 14 minutes.
    I have heard the same thing you have. I do know that there is HP to be found in a oil pan with a kick out and mesh screen, how much, who knows? If I had the extra $$ I'd call Chris Straub and have a new pan made, but that 10 qt. Dooley's has don just fine over 12 yrs. or so.
    Sleeper CP
    BiG Inch Ford Lover

cyclone
    I purchased a Basset 10qt oil pan, same as the Dooley pan for a jetboat. It is the same as the one in the Ford Performance book on page 135. What do you guys think about the flat up curved windage trays ? I was told that the expanded steel type windage trays are 100% better and that this style does more harm than good, what is your take on this type ?
    Thanks
    i've had problems with the dooley pans on chevy's. windage is a problem with that style of tray. oil control at high rpms is an issue.
    also, whatever you do, find out what angle your boat runs at, the angle the engine is installed at, then simulate it on the bench with the oil pan. i guarantee that if you put 10 quarts of oil in that pan it will come above the windage tray once the engine is in the boat and the crank will fling that oil all over the place when the engine is running. i wouldnt put more than 7.5 or 8 quarts of oil in that pan with an engine installed at 4-5 degrees (same angle as jet pump).

windage is a problem with that style of tray. oil control at high rpms is an issue.
    i guarantee that if you put 10 quarts of oil in that pan it will come above the windage tray once the engine is in the boat and the crank will fling that oil all over the place when the engine is running. i wouldnt put more than 7.5 or 8 quarts of oil in that pan with an engine installed at 4-5 degrees (same angle as jet pump).
    2 very correct statements ...

Get yourself a Dan Olson wet sump pan ... like $450 w/ proper windage tray, custom tig welded aluminum ...
    http://www.olsonmotorsports.com/
    They should have one on the shelf for BBC ... oh wait, I forgot ... sorry, 3-4 weeks for a BBF
    j/k ... they might have one on the shelf (if you're lucky)

Sleeper CP
    i've had problems with the dooley pans on chevy's. windage is a problem with that style of tray. oil control at high rpms is an issue.
    also, whatever you do, find out what angle your boat runs at, the angle the engine is installed at, then simulate it on the bench with the oil pan. i guarantee that if you put 10 quarts of oil in that pan it will come above the windage tray once the engine is in the boat and the crank will fling that oil all over the place when the engine is running. i wouldnt put more than 7.5 or 8 quarts of oil in that pan with an engine installed at 4-5 degrees (same angle as jet pump).
    Wow high? The 565 rev's to 7,000 on the dyno with no drop in oil pressure. It rev's to 6,800 on the nitrous with no loss in oil pressure and it runs
    from Picacho to Fishers landing in 14 minutes that's a 54 mph avg. running from 4,500 to 6,000 rpm's for 14 minutes. Never had a problem with pressure or temp but it does have a cooler on it.
    As I said though, today I'd get a Steph's pan with a kick out and screen tray ,but the fact is the current pan has worked just fine.
    I do know 3 other people that have had to run 7 or 8 qrts. in their Chevy's with a 10 qrt pan. Our system is with a cooler and filter we run 11 qrts. in it.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

cyclone
    Wow high? The 565 rev's to 7,000 on the dyno with no drop in oil pressure. It rev's to 6,800 on the nitrous with no loss in oil pressure and it runs
    from Picacho to Fishers landing in 14 minutes that's a 54 mph avg. running from 4,500 to 6,000 rpm's for 14 minutes. Never had a problem with pressure or temp but it does have a cooler on it.
    As I said though, today I'd get a Steph's pan with a kick out and screen tray ,but the fact is the current pan has worked just fine.
    I do know 3 other people that have had to run 7 or 8 qrts. in their Chevy's with a 10 qrt pan. Our system is with a cooler and filter we run 11 qrts. in it.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    must be a ford thing. with my chevy's and that pan, right at 6,800 rpm the oil pressure fluctuated 10-20psi....i believe Widowmaker had the same problem with his 502..

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Get yourself a Dan Olson wet sump pan ... like $450 w/ proper windage tray, custom tig welded aluminum ...
    http://www.olsonmotorsports.com/
    They should have one on the shelf for BBC ... oh wait, I forgot ... sorry, 3-4 weeks for a BBF
    j/k ... they might have one on the shelf (if you're lucky)
    Thats cheap:idea::idea: I may have to call them next week....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast