Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese deny port to US ships

Seadog
    It was in the news today that there were a couple of recent issues with the Chinese denying access to US ships trying to port at Hong Kong. Long a traditional port of call, the first incident was when a storm threatened a destroyer and minesweeper, low on fuel, they tried to pull into Hong Kong and was denied port rights. Luckily, we were able to refuel them at sea. This is a complete violation of international law.
    Then, a few days ago, the Kitty Hawk and its support ships were due to dock at Hong Kong for a long scheduled Thanksgiving holiday with their families. The families had already flown into the country for this rare chance to get together. At the last minute, the Chinese denied them access and refused to discuss it. This is not a traditionally closed port, but a port that has a long tradition of open access to all. I have to wonder in light of the recent food and toy recalls, the oil spill by a Chinese freighter in SF bay, that maybe this is a final straw. I am all for advocating denying access to Chinese ships at any US port. I have never been fond of our reliance on them as a trade partner. They have managed to use and abuse us at every turn. They have gotten the career politicians to turn their backs on Taiwan. Are we leaders, or puppets?

sanger rat
    It's time for us to do the same.

Magic34
    The problems with the US and Arab countries are not our biggest issue, it is the struggle for the Chinese to become the core nation of the world and overtake the US and the #1 superpower.
    I fear the day that the US and China go to war. It wont be pretty and I feel that it will happen in the future.

RitcheyRch
    China should be everyones biggest fear and we continue to buy stuff from them.
    The problems with the US and Arab countries are not our biggest issue, it is the struggle for the Chinese to become the core nation of the world and overtake the US and the #1 superpower.
    I fear the day that the US and China go to war. It wont be pretty and I feel that it will happen in the future.

Big Warlock
    We won't go to war. The are going to kick he shiat out of us economically!!!.

BadKachina
    Exactly, they are already winning the war.
    BTW, will you be around this week? I was going to have Mark cruise up and borrow a prop from you.

Magic34
    That will be first and the bombs will be last.

Jordy
    BTW, will you be around this week? I was going to have Mark cruise up and borrow a prop from you.
    Just let him know what you want and he can bring it to the meeting as B.S.C.C. tomorrow at 3 PM. That is, if you two married guys aren't afraid.

ULTRA26 # 1
    Exactly, they are already winning the war.
    Yep. Future wars will be economic.
    Anyone ever see a 1975 movie named Rollerball?

redneckcharlie
    The Chinese are simply posturing. They know that they cannot sustain an economic war with the US. The one figure you never see, is what percentage of the Chinese GNP is exported to the US. I know many here will completely disagree with me, but it is not in their best interest to have an economic war. Its a very funny situation when you mix communism and capitalism. I bet you see internal strife sooner than you see any kind of confrontation with the US.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast