The first test usually consist of I believe four parts. Math, comprehension, mechanical aptitude, and basic chemistry.
The math is basic math up to if I remember maybe some algebra.
Comp is reading a paragraph and then answering questions about what you just read.
Mech app is usually pictures, like a couple of pulleys, showing which way they turn and then asking how the last one would turn. Lifting a box with a rope over a pulley different ways and which would be easier. Various size gears turning, which is faster.....that sort of stuff.
And then the chem is basic stuff like, what gas is in the blimp, bleach is it a acid or base, what type of heat does the sun give off, etc.
all are mostly multiple choice, I have a friend trying to get in also, and looking for some info myself. that is mostly what I remember about it though.
should be able to find basic test prep info on those subjects though.
Good luck
This is correct if they have not changed it since 1994. I worked there and took their entrance test. If you are looking to go into operations, the test includes a pc based operator control test. Almost impossible if you have no prior experience. It is a timed test with emergency situations where you have to page to multiple screens to determine the cause of the malfunction and correct it.
I had the highest score ever recorded so they tell me, but I also had 20 years experience at Texaco prior to testing. i quit after 3 years there. Refinery workers have no life. Shift work sucks and the refinery politics are unbelievable. The money is great but the sacrifice in social and family time is not worth it. If you are a loner who doesnt need sleep go for it!