Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Lanyard Wear for Nevada Boaters

SummerBreeze
    Yep,
    I just got my Registration renewal for my boat and there is some new laws for NV boats
    Life jackets mandatory for kids 12 and under
    Mandatory Lanyard wear
    But not required if trolling for fish or docking maneuvers under the no wake speed. Effective Oct. 1st 2007
    I wonder if it is just in Nevada waters?? or if your boat is reg in Nv these new laws apply:idea: at other lakes??

deltarat
    Yep,
    I just got my Registration renewal for my boat and there is some new laws for NV boats
    Life jackets mandatory for kids 12 and under
    Mandatory Lanyard wear
    But not required if trolling for fish or docking maneuvers under the no wake speed. Effective Oct. 1st 2007
    I wonder if it is just in Nevada waters?? or if your boat is reg in Nv these new laws apply:idea: at other lakes??
    I am sorry but I do not see anything wrong with this at all.

rrrr
    Just as some adults are too stupid to make their kids wear seatbelts, I routinely see kids 12 and under without PFDs. It's unfortunate when the state has to make laws to replace parenting, but they're needed.
    I guess the lanyard is a good idea. I never wear one, but I know two people that were almost killed (in separate incidents) by a circling boat with no one it it. Have to think about that one. :idea:

desertbird
    Is this going to be a requirement for NV reg'd boats, or all boats on NV waters? I think a lot of boats with aftermarket offshore style controls may not even have a lanyard kill switch at all! I know that Mercury integrates them into the combo throttle/drive arms, but I can't recall seeing something for the offshore controls?
    This page only talks about PWC's. http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/s...ws/Nevada.html

OnlyMoney
    boatus.org doesn't have the complete info. This is from the NDOW.org:
    NRS 488.585 Operation of motorboat in excess of certain speed prohibited unless engine cut-off switch is present, connected and operating properly; attachment of engine cut-off switch link.
    1. A person who owns or controls a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch shall not operate or authorize another person to operate the motorboat at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour if the engine cut-off switch or engine cut-off switch link is missing, disconnected or not operating properly.
    2. A person shall not operate a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour unless the engine cut-off switch link is attached to his body, clothing or personal flotation device.
    3. As used in this section:
    (a) “Engine cut-off switch” means a switch that automatically stops the engine of a motorboat if activated by an engine cut-off switch link.
    (b) “Engine cut-off switch link” means a device that, if attached to an operator, activates an engine cut-off switch if the operator is separated from the motorboat. The term includes a lanyard or other mechanical device and a wireless cut-off device.
    (c) “Wireless cut-off device” means an engine cut-off switch link that transmits an electromagnetic signal to an engine cut-off switch.
    (Added to NRS by 2007, 405)

lalhc
    My son is 14 and I still make him wear his life-jacket when the boat is moving.

Quality Time
    but I can't recall seeing something for the offshore controls?http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/s...ws/Nevada.html
    I have two, one for each motor, and they are mounted on the dash. Standard Mercury and yes, I always have my lanyards on. I modified a jet-ski wrist strap to my lanyards and wrap around the sticks forcing me to put it on before I can put the boat in gear. It's become so routine, that I don't even think about putting them on anymore.
    There is a thread over on OSO regarding a 35' Formula that went 500 feet up a beach because the driver was thrown and didn't have lanyards on. It can happen in non-performance boats as well.
    Wear your lanyards

Zaairman
    What about all of us guys with old boats that don't have lanyards?

Mohave Vice
    [QUOTE=Zaairman;2924079]What about all of us guys with old boats that don't have lanyards
    Good question!

OnlyMoney
    I think it says clearly:
    A person who owns or controls a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch shall not operate or authorize another person to operate the motorboat at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour if the engine cut-off switch or engine cut-off switch link is missing, disconnected or not operating properly.
    2. A person shall not operate a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour unless the engine cut-off switch link is attached to his body, clothing or personal flotation device.
    You guys are free and clear!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast