Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: daytona this summer

McIntyrelocal
    good luck that thing is gonna be pretty, i wouldnt place your motor until you take a look at what Mike D was talking about, the motor may have to be alittle more forward with it being a clamp on before and if 3rd generation is having problems its worth looking at those guys along with Mike D and shoemaker they really know there stuff i would address it.

tx-19
    Bueno Randy!! Cant wait to see it out at Saguaro.
    Dan Nelson just converted a 21 Daytona and it moves real good
    with that PSI. It to started out as a Clamp-on too. If you have questions
    he may be able to answer them.
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../DanNelson.jpg
    Cant wait till Summer.
    Randy, I see the Blower is nice en Shiny... What about the candy green???
    cave,dan nelsons boat did not have a clamp on it.it had an out drive.he had to fill in a big hole in the back,and it turned out awesome

Yep Joey's right as rain. It was a small block I/O setup. Really weird deal where the trim
    was controlled by the entire motor and drive moving/pivoting as one unit. Had a huge
    rubber boot on the back sealing the drive. Really strange. I saw it years ago up at Bartlett.
    When the guy was describing the trim setup to me my jaw musta been dropped. He showed
    me how it worked and I gotta say.........I never saw anything like it before (or since) The
    former owner claimed 90 mph with that setup. I think it's safe to say it runs a lot faster
    with it's new pump and PSI blower motor.

Nice looking Daytona
    Not that it is any of my buisness but I have a friend that just took a wacker of the back of a daytona and made it a pump with a 1000 hp motor. He is having all kinds of trouble keeping it in the water, the boat wants to kite at 1/8 mile.
    A friend of mine has stated that the bottom may be different due to tha fact that it had an outboard on it. Some of the bottoms where designed for lift for the out board motor. So food for thought, check it out wouldn`t want to see any one having the same problem if it could be avoided. Here is a pic of the boat and he goes by the name 3d generation on the boards.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/102_2666.JPG
    I dont think the bottoms are different. Ive been fighting that same problem since the spring of 2004, finally got it sorted out with my 800 hp deal then went to more HP and have the same exact problem, cant add any power now till its fixed Harris has loads of HP in a boat that makes alot of lift, that is there problem. They can reduce lift by a bottom change but jeoparize the integrity of the boat or just get a different boat. That boat will never go past 1000 ft. in anything but perfect water with that much HP in my opinion.

McIntyrelocal
    I dont think the bottoms are different. Ive been fighting that same problem since the spring of 2004, finally got it sorted out with my 800 hp deal then went to more HP and have the same exact problem, cant add any power now till its fixed Harris has loads of HP in a boat that makes alot of lift, that is there problem. They can reduce lift by a bottom change but jeoparize the integrity of the boat or just get a different boat. That boat will never go past 1000 ft. in anything but perfect water with that much HP in my opinion.
    even moving the motor more forward?i guess my real question is what is the limit as far as motor placement?do you just weigh it and dont let the weight get past the the balance piont or what.my boat obviously isnt what yours or mikes or harris's boats are but im looking at 8- 900 hp next year and more with a pully change but im also not looking for the mph you guys are running but i would like to know that my location of the motor doesnt need to be changed?

cave
    I stand corrected. Or fall.
    Good to hear you didn't sell the Daytona. Its going to be a great addition to the Eastsiders.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Damn Randy I gotta get off my azz and finish mine. There is no way that you can rig 2 boats while Im still rigging one:ekk: Damn, I should have bouth that hull from you Looks puurdy.........

even moving the motor more forward?i guess my real question is what is the limit as far as motor placement?do you just weigh it and dont let the weight get past the the balance piont or what.my boat obviously isnt what yours or mikes or harris's boats are but im looking at 8- 900 hp next year and more with a pully change but im also not looking for the mph you guys are running but i would like to know that my location of the motor doesnt need to be changed?
    yes you can run it way forward but it gets to a point where the motor is right behind the driver and you still have issues, similar to Harris's situation. I have moved my engine 5 times and you have to re-rig everthing everytime you move it, it gets frustrating.
    There are scientific ways of finding motor placement (finding CG, etc.) Depending on the weight of the motor and hull, I would look at something in the ballpark of 30" from transom to block as a starting point.

McIntyrelocal
    yes you can run it way forward but it gets to a point where the motor is right behind the driver and you still have issues, similar to Harris's situation. I have moved my engine 5 times and you have to re-rig everthing everytime you move it, it gets frustrating.
    There are scientific ways of finding motor placement (finding CG, etc.) Depending on the weight of the motor and hull, I would look at something in the ballpark of 30" from transom to block as a starting point.
    im at 29" so i guess thats close enough your right about rerigging it i dont want to go through that again its bad enough im agonna repaint it this winter thanks for the info, apriciate it.
    http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1197047635

Wazoo
    I'm building a 19' Daytona that used to be a outboard. I talked to Eliminator boats about the difference between a outboard and a jet drive hull. They said some outboard hulls they built have a raised center pod. Not all of them.If the center pod is even with the outer sponsons it's the same hull as the jet.That's how mine is. The other thing they said to check was the floor thickness where the jet intake mounts. They want it at least a 1/2" thick there.Some lightweight outboards are thin there. I have a lightweight Kevlar hull and mine is a 1/2" thick. :idea: .The only other difference is the transom is twice as thick. By the way my bare hull weighs in at 550lbs. I have a 1200hp Pro-Stock motor ready to go in. I talked to Greg Shoemaker about the combination and he said to put the motor plate 28 inches from the transom. I will be doing a drop keel with a low profile intake.I also talked to Gary Snow he said put the motor 32 inches foward with this combination. I consider both top notch guys with these types of boats. Maybe I will start out at 30 inches.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast