Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 water in oil

72 Hondo
    My grandpa just bought a jet boat with a 455 in it. It has water in the oil. Is there anything that is a common cause of this that I need to watch for during the tear-down i.e. water intake plate, manifold gaskets, head gaskets ect.?
    GARY.

72 Hondo
    We did an oil change and ran the engine, It runs great.
    GARY.

Jetaholic
    Do a compression test. If all is well there, I'm willing to bet the intake gaskets are blown.
    Does the motor have over transom headers? Too much water to them can also cause water in the oil as well.

DRAG'N FEVER
    Excessive water pressure from the pump feeding the engine block will force water past the head gaskets. Check the water pressure in the block at full power. It should not exceed 7 psi.

72 Hondo
    Excessive water pressure from the pump feeding the engine block will force water past the head gaskets. Check the water pressure in the block at full power. It should not exceed 7 psi.
    Well Ill bet thats it... 5/8 heater hose from the pump to a ball valve held wide open with a wire tie and strait to the front of the block, thermostat housing to the logs then to the riseres and out the exaust:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    Wrong way to route the water first off I know.
    Way more than 7 psi, YA THINK Im rebuilding the motor in 2 or 3 weeks anyway, at least now I know.
    Thanks Guys,
    GARY.

SK48
    ?? how are you going to route the water ?? Maybe I am missing something
    but that is the normal way to route the water.

Jetaholic
    ?? how are you going to route the water ?? Maybe I am missing something
    but that is the normal way to route the water.
    The water is supposed to be routed through the logs first to preheat the water, then into the motor, then out the risers.
    On his, they ran it through the block first, then the logs, then out the risers.
    I would think that the logs are more restrictive to water flow than the motor is, so by having the water flow from the block to the logs I would think that would create a hugh restriction after the block, which would cause the pressure to build up in the block, causing water to blow by the gaskets, therefore causing water in the oil. This would be the other reason you would run the water through the logs first, then the motor, then out the risers.

The single most common (water in oil /Olds ) problem is when the "steel bathtub type oem intake gasket is used with an after market aluminum manifold Tom :idea:
    feel free to call if you need tech help !

72 Hondo
    This engine has an Edelbrock Torker 455 w/o the bath tub gasket.
    How much pressure will come from the jet to feed the engine (approx. of course)?
    GARY.

Jetaholic
    This engine has an Edelbrock Torker 455 w/o the bath tub gasket.
    How much pressure will come from the jet to feed the engine (approx. of course)?
    GARY.
    With enough HP, at wide open throttle you can see as much as 150-200psi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast