Thread: need help on floor

Raskal
    i pulled up carpet and no surprise oh a crack on the floor.what is best way to fix [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/01-15-2003_06;47;04PM.JPG[/img] cry

beached 1
    As long as the crack is in the wood floor and not the hull:
    Sand the area down really good and clean. lay a strip of mat down in the crack. Then with a cheap paint brush soak the layer of mat with a good polyester based laminating resin. Use a wienie roller to get any air bubbles out and you shoukd be good to go.

79Hawaiian
    looks like you have more than a crack, you got dry-rot. Cut that crap out and replace with new wood. Glass it in and lay new carpet. I did this last season

Bow Tie Omega
    Make sure you check out everything else down there (stringers, any other wood), you do not just want to fiberglass over your problems. I just did my stringers. A necessary evil if you have water rot. I cut all of my old crap out(stringers and floor). I built new stringers, filled the old drain plug hole(2" to high) drilled a new hole and took the boat to Havasu Barney's. My Boat is there for the Gel Coat right now. He is also fiberglassing in the new stringers ( I did not want to screw up fiberglassing those in). Make sure that if you put in your own floor, fiberglass both sides and the edges/ends of the floor as well. The water will run with the grain of the wood or in between the slices of ply. Wood has one enemy when it comes to using it for structural support...Water. Good Luck...Joe
    If you need expert advice or work, call 928-505-8678 (Havasu Barneys) He will give you an unbelievable price for the work. I know that sounds cheesy adding that in, but it is true, you will not regret the call
    [ January 16, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

Raskal
    79 you did not have to pull motor ?the guy i bought boat from just put new stringers in 2 years ago .hope its just crack ill find out more this weekend .thanks for the input

79Hawaiian
    nope, the motor stayed in. The floor ends just before the engine.

Raskal
    cool thanks
    smile_sp

Raskal
    looks like i have to do the whole floor just got done pulling the old floor up dam this is going to be a job eek!

GlastronGuy
    Did someone say floor?

Bow Tie Omega
    Raskal, a rotozip will be your friend. Save yourself alot of hours of frustration. They have the cutting bits specifically for fiberglass. Well worth the dough. I do not know about you, my floor was anywhere from 3/8th thick to 5/8th thick. That tool saved my life. Good Luck...Joe