Thread: Watts in an amp

Chipster27
    So I'm looking at this 5 channel amp that stats it produces 2200 watts of power...here are the specs:
    Maximum Power 2200 Watts
    CEA Primary Power
    (power into 4 ohm, all channels driven, 14.4V supply 1% THD+N) 80 x 4
    CEA S/N Ratio (referenced at 1 watt/4 ohm) 80dB, CH 1 - 4
    CEA Additional Power
    (power into X ohm, all channels driven, 14.4V supply 1% THD+N) 125W x 4 @ 2 ohm, CH 1 - 4
    Not sure how 80x4 or 125x4 equals 2200 but they seem to claim it does...? When I compare this to amps with a 500 watt rating they seem to have similar outputs yet claim 500 watts.
    What am I missing?
    Also, what determines the ohms? Head unit? Speaker capabilities? I checked the specs on my speakers and they seem to be 4 ohms, is there anything else I should know?

phebus
    I've got a Memphis Belle 5 ch. amp that puts our 1560 watts. Don't forget, besides the output x 4, you have the mono channel putting out a lot of watts.

Havasu Hangin'
    So I'm looking at this 5 channel amp that stats it produces 2200 watts of power...here are the specs:
    Maximum Power 2200 Watts
    CEA Primary Power
    (power into 4 ohm, all channels driven, 14.4V supply 1% THD+N) 80 x 4
    CEA S/N Ratio (referenced at 1 watt/4 ohm) 80dB, CH 1 - 4
    CEA Additional Power
    (power into X ohm, all channels driven, 14.4V supply 1% THD+N) 125W x 4 @ 2 ohm, CH 1 - 4
    Not sure how 80x4 or 125x4 equals 2200 but they seem to claim it does...? When I compare this to amps with a 500 watt rating they seem to have similar outputs yet claim 500 watts.
    What am I missing?
    Frankly, there is no real regulation on what can be put on an amp package. Shady (swap meet) stuff overstates to get your attention.
    Max output is usually double the RMS rating, so it's kinda misleading. They could be stating the max output using a 2 ohm load?
    Also, what determines the ohms? Head unit? Speaker capabilities? I checked the specs on my speakers and they seem to be 4 ohms, is there anything else I should know?
    The ohm load is determined by the speaker configuration. Think of the ohm load like a carb- higher load means more resistance. A lower number means less resistance, the carb opens up, and more power flows.

Chipster27
    Thanks!
    The amp is from a reputable company (Directed) and I couldn't find the sub channel which is probably the largest contributor to the total output.

Dub C
    Thanks!
    The amp is from a reputable company (Directed) and I couldn't find the sub channel which is probably the largest contributor to the total output.
    i have two of those amps ( i work for directed) and love it, beside being a huge surfboard size amp. it's a directed 1200D and a a1004 all in one case. 1200w sub max and 250x4 on the a10004 max but it IS max. they don't like running 2 ohms much on the 4 channel side but the sub output can go 1ohm all day. Next year these will be polk amps instead of branded directed. different cosmetics but same guts. the ohms are deteremined by the speaker, it's the nominal or 'at rest' resistance. lower the number to harder it is for an amp, 0ohms= a dead short, basically welding