Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mls, cometics, or copper head gaskets?

MACHINEHEAD
    Good point Warp. I hope it was honed with a plate! Dont put anything on fel-pros or cometics.

Unchained
    mark, what brand and how did you prepare for them? put any coatings on the copper before hand?
    I don't remember what brand, I got them out of the summit catalog.
    I seal the water passages with silicone. You have to look at the gasket, the head, and the block to see exactly where to put the silicone. The smallest possible bead is fine, like .020". Look at a set of Titans and see where they put the silicone and how small the bead is. I would have used Titans but I was informed that the silicone bead may come off when you remove them and then its back to the tube again anyways.
    On a new set I'll use a die grinder with a wire wheel and roughen up the areas where I'm going to put the silicone. I've seen 60 # of block pressure and they have held up.
    Copper has the best heat transfer of any head gasket.

placecrafttim
    More important, what gasket was your block honed with??
    Warp Speed
    What's going to happen if I had detroit head gaskets and then went with fel pro mls?

IMO Cometics are the "hands down winner" every time a sucess,one minor problem (mis cut) and they stepped up weve used them with big compression and blower applications Outstanding productThe only time I ever used O'ringed dead soft copper I had H20 seepage vs crankcase (even tried silicone then hylamar ,Just my 02 Tom

IMPATIENT 1
    are the mls felpro's the same thing as the cometics? i looked at the felpros then looked up the cometics and they look the same, not sayin the work the same but the general constrution looks it. i need to get some ordered this weekend, i want this motor in the boat before xmas

Warp Speed
    What's going to happen if I had detroit head gaskets and then went with fel pro mls?
    Not sure, as I haven't used DG in a long time so I don't have any back to back data. If the DG is of similar design to the fel-pro (wire sealing ring, composition, thickness ect...) I would imagine the change in bore distortion from DG composition to an MLS to be close as well.
    I do know that on a Bow-Tie block (small block) using studs and angle torqued to our specs (similar to around 60-65ft/lb end result) the change from Fel-Pro composition to Cometic MLS can be anywere from .002-.003 depending on bore size and cylinder wall thickness. The MLS type distorting less.
    It may have a bigger effect on a production type block due to the thinner castings.
    Warp Speed

Liberator TJ1984
    Good point Warp. I hope it was honed with a plate! Dont put anything on fel-pros or cometics.
    ????? Unless things have changed with thier process ????
    The set of Cometics I have came with instructions to Carefully separate ea. layer and coat them lightly with Coppercoat or Gasgacinch . I used the Spray Coppercoat sealant and have put 22# on gas on them ! same set of gaskets for almost 6yrs. Iron block / Alum.heads.

Liberator TJ1984
    are the mls felpro's the same thing as the cometics? i looked at the felpros then looked up the cometics and they look the same, not sayin the work the same but the general constrution looks it. i need to get some ordered this weekend, i want this motor in the boat before xmas
    Why the Rush ??? Gonna use her for the Harbor " Ice Breaker " so the bass boats can get out
    j/k > I see you guys are gettin'hammered up there !

IMPATIENT 1
    Why the Rush ??? Gonna use her for the Harbor " Ice Breaker " so the bass boats can get out
    j/k > I see you guys are gettin'hammered up there !
    lol, not that bad here yet. it just started the freezin rain today here. its not even sticking to anything, just melting(its @38*). gonna get shitty if it keeps it up thru the nite though i'm just gonna wait till after xmas to build it, there is no real reason to rush anything. i was gonna file fit today but my shop is cold and i don't have any propane out there yet this winter, gotta them out here monday if the house lost ele., the shop is the only heated place here. i have a 5ton hvac set-up for it but just finished the electricity on it last april, haven't gotten around to building a plenum for the heater.by summer the shop should be heated and cooled but its nice to have the big propane tank till on it for a back-up.

Liberator TJ1984
    I hear ya ! Luckily we gots lots of farmboys around here that got jetboats, a couple of us pitched in a few Diesel fired electric heaters and Orchard Heaters , they burn just fine on "farm" diesel and there's plenty of fuel around Its supposed to get into the low 30's here tonight !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast