Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenco Clutch. Who has had one apart?

DetroitJim
    They're about as simple as it gets, just a stack of plates. You can get the bearings and seals at any supply house. The clutches are automatic trans friction plates with the outer teeth removed on a lathe. I forgot which trans they go with but I have a few new ones laying around, there is a Raybestos number on them. I don't think they are Turbo 400 plates, maybe they are. I thought about making some but it's not that expensive to get them from Lenco. The only think you need to check is the total clutch pack clearance, around 0.100 to 0.150 or thereabouts if I recall. Not super critical, just so the fork gets driven down about half way at lock up. The oil is ATF, you don't need more than 3/4 of a quart. All it does is keep everything wet. I suppose motor oil would work, I don't know why you would want to though. The clutches are designed for ATF.
    DJ

Fiat48
    Thank you sir.
    The clutches in it look good...no evidence of slip but are .055 thick. Trying to get an idea how much they are worn...maybe replace them since I am in there. I'll see what the pack clearance is and that will give me an idea where I am at with it.
    Appreciate the specs and the help.
    Turbo 400 was just a wild ass guess. I have some powerglide front clutch plates here but they are too small.

nOv1c3
    Our blue, green and tan disc are supplied new at approximately .058"- .061" thickness. When discs wear to .052" or less they must be replaced. Glazed, burned and chipped discs must also be replaced immediately
    http://www.lencoracing.com/index.html

GofastRacer
    The oil is ATF, you don't need more than 3/4 of a quart. All it does is keep everything wet. I suppose motor oil would work, I don't know why you would want to though. The clutches are designed for ATF.
    DJ
    Motor oil/gear oil works no problem but all it does is soften the shift, not good under any amount of power!..

Fiat48
    I thank all for the info and I do appreciate it. I always thought about running one of these deals but never did. Mainly expense but another reason goes back aways.
    In the early 80's this Lenco was in a River Racer drag boat (legal 460 inch deal). Anyway the boat ran 117 mph all the time. They took this Lenco out of the boat and ran 120+ mph from that day on. All of us assumed that the Lenco took some HP to turn.
    Now that I have one apart and see there is not much to it....I wonder about that.
    Course if it does...I have a blower pulley that will take care of that issue.

DetroitJim
    You are correct in your assumption. I have a Lenco clutch / 2 speed combo that I ran in my hydro, with the extra weight, power loss, and the fact that I had to set the motor back 5 inches to make it fit, I went no faster. Now for a 7 second ProMod or BAH deal, then it makes sense. Idling at 1500 or higher RPM and banging a Casale into gear is bad stuff. Plus you can run 70's with 30% under in the trans.
    DJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12