Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waaah!.....ok grab a cold one..

bordsmnj
    this is a long winded post.bought my first boat in may/june.piece of crap. i rebuilt intire boat myself. fueltank,every wire,steering, you name it. everything but the longblock....and boy did i get burnt.so i won a judgement for 3300 bucks friday but you know how that goes-good luck collecting. i put hundreds of hours of labor in to that boat this summer. it hasn't ran since the weekend of the fourth of july. and there it sits in my driveway no motor, no motor mounts, half of the little drive shaft thing still on the jet spline,no headers. I'm not real sure about the integrety of the hull.it's a 78 sleekcraft 17 footer.i don't trust the stringers for anything bigger than say 350 horse,small block.
    Now with all that said here's my new delemma. If i built a new motor how much would it cost to get it set inside the boat. to be more presice how do i go about custom building new mounts.OR, should i just dump the damned thing and start agian? i'm not exactly rich so that doesn't help i need to find the most cost effective way to get in the water by next spring and no.. i refuse to buy a bayliner! any one everhave the same issues with having to mount a motor with no brackets? the ones i had before(stolen by the wanna-be motor guy)looked like they were cut from a manhole cover or something.
    [ November 16, 2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

DansBlown73Nordic
    Sounds like a Mess!@! eek! I think on the Jet board is a guy with a brand new set of mounts.
    By the sounds you need alot more than mounts.

superdave013
    (stolen by the wanna-be motor guy)
    Ok, I'm in your area. Who is this guy that ripped you off? Can't you go back and at least get your motor mounts back? At least you could use them as a patteren.

HOSS
    Well, you are at a good starting point believe it or not. Rip up the floor, take careful measurments of everything especially seating arrangements. Re-do stringers (I added 2 to my southwind) and floor. Now yu know what you have. Time for a big block. If you have to buy everything anyway, do it as a big block. Not much more cash. Simply bang for buck. Mounts, block off plate, exhaust, oil pan, big ford pieces used are cheap and the mill will run about 1500 (400 fot the junk motor, cam shaft kit 150, buy used off this forum). Good luck and start bench racing for knowledge.

hack job
    i would put a motor in your boat ! that is me though there are a lot of people around your area that would be willing to help you if neded and could turn you on to a good relible builder ! ( i happen to know one thanks to dave) as forthe mounts what kind of motor are you looking to put in ! i happen to have a complete three point mount system for a ford! let me know if we can help . thats what these boards are suppose to be about! wink

hack job
    oh and yes we have mounted motors with no brackets ( it took time lining it all up and drilling for the news ones but it wasnt that tough! wink

AntRant
    I love this site. When you need help people are there, either with parts or knoledge......I some time feel the same about my CVX 20 (getting riped off), Its my first boat. The floor going to need replacing soon (soft spots), the engine blew 4th trip out and it needs to be painted. I lost the whole summer, but i know when you take the first good ride it will all be wirth it

HOOTER SLED-
    Hey Bordsmnj,
    If you decide to go with another boat, I may have one for sale(still tryin to force myself to sell it). I'm not far from you. I bought a newer and bigger one. Reply if you want more details, or if anyone would like more details for that matter. The boat is a 75 18' California. It's pretty clean lookin. Ask if you wanna know more.

bordsmnj
    thanks for the return post you guys. The support shocks me. But i think i'm just too leary of the hull on this boat of mine to dump another whole summer's wages into it. on the bright side i won a judgement against the motor building kook. i just gotta find out how to collect it.I thiunk i'll be reading alot of boat trader for a while.i'm still tempted to build another engine...DWAMN! it's hard to let go of a boat that you put so much time effort and energy into.WHAAAA!

Froggystyle
    Don't get rid of it. You can totally save it.
    For one, go BBC. It is the cheapest, easiest means of powering a boat effectively. Second, I'm not sure of the exact situation your stringers are in, and I am not professing to know, but if they are good enough for a small block, they are definitely good enough for a big block with a rail kit. Rail kits are hands down the most overpriced piece of gear in hot boating. You can get yourself some good quality heavy gauge aluminum angle and flat stock and build the stringer rails easily enough. Then, you get the front and rear motor plates from swap meet, internet... whatever and have one of our resident machinists make you some feet.
    I didn't catch your location, but I would be happy to give you some help lining it up and getting your shit straight. For the most part, it is just a matter of shimming the front or rear once you have the rails close to perfect.
    BTW, the way to really do it is to use a bare block and crank with the mounts on it, line up the sides while being held in place by soft-jaw vice grips and drill some holes. Any slight variances can be taken up with shims.
    I would go ahead and finish the boat. If you need help, let me know.
    Squirts up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast